• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this PC good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alag28

Registered
okay arounf x-mas i might build me my very first custom build pc rig and i want ur opinion if its good. or simply tell me whats better over that

Future Rig all from www.newegg.com

Intel Pentium 4 2.4B Northwood Chip (but it dosent come with fan and heatsink; consider something else?)
Asus p4pe with raid or Abit 1t7-max2 (or whats better? and yes ill be doing some overclocking)
Lian Li PC-62 Aluminum Case Mid tower(80mm)
Lite On 52x24x52 CDRW
What a nice Cd-rom/w dvd combo?
GeIL DDR RAM 512MB PC-3500 433Hz Platinum (something better or same power but cheaper?)
Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum
Verto Geforce 4 mx 410 pci My old 1 until i get some dough and buy a nice one (wait for Nv30 or get geforce 4200, or A9700?)
Floppy Drive
My current Monitor its a compaq but its pretty nice 17'' ill use that
Thermaltake's All Copper Heat Sink for NVIDIA GeForce4 when i get
Thermaltake SMART CASE FAN II WITH “COOLMOD” . Variable Fan Speed Control, by temperature sensor. Plus Tt CoolMod 4 LED Light (2 Blue & 2 Red). Fan Dimension: 80x80x25 mm. Two Ball Bearing. 3-Pin. FAN Speed Control Setting: 1300 rpm at 20°C~ . 4800 rpm at 55°C. Air Flow: 20.55 CFM at 1300rpm. 75.7 CFM at 4800rpm. Retail Box. A1506<----for Case Vantilation get it nice and cool up in there (something better?)

Thats basically it does is sounds nice powerful for a gaming rig or should i consider other stuff? missing something?

Thanks for ur opinions

For DVD i prefer to buy the Pioneer slot drives.
I also like Plextor and Yamaha CDRW drives.
But those are my opinions.
As for memory i'm sure you are going to get replies to it. I think most will tell you to get Corsair DDR from what i've been seeing.

yea people say alot of good things about corsair im gonna check on those tonight.

Anyone elses opinions please?

Alag28 said:
yea people say alot of good things about corsair im gonna check on those tonight.

Anyone elses opinions please?

the xms 3200 or 3500 from corsair will be great....I'm using the xms3000 on an amd rig for my sister...she don't need the extra power.

as for the mobos...some like the max2 better then the p4pe, yet both are great boards and mabe the p4pe will be better for you.
it slightly overvolts so mabe no need to wire rap.

also, a good HS like the ax-478 with a quiet fan will be all you need to OC this puppy.

btw...I just got an Aopen 16x slot DVD ultra ata66 yesterday (hint: made by pioneer) from newegg.com for $47 (it's sooo sweet). oh yeah, it's a 40x cd too.

I don't see a HD...I also got the same day a WDse 80gb drive.
it's not formated yet so I can't tell you realy how fast it is.
yet most peeps think it's the ****.

anyway, good luck

mica

o yea i forgot about my harddrive Hmm............yea ill go with the majority a 80 Gb WD will be good

Just to point one thing out, u say 2.4b northwood?!?! the b means its not a northwood it would be 2.4a so id get that cleared up.

i wouldnt go for the audigy plat... unless u sorely need a useless front panel that takes up a bay... get the gamer.. much cheaper.. same damn card

Alan, if you need any help looking for parts or anything, or nee help putting it together let me know.

1. You are missing a harddrive. You using the old one?

2. Looks like you are going to use stock hsf (so make sure you buy retail and not OEM).

3. If you want to get PC-3500 DDR, you might as well go to the XMS series by Corsair. Geil has been known to give mixed results, but Corsair is known for overclockin'. =)

4. I have a PCI mx200 if you want that. =p

5. You have speakers or are you using some old ones/headphones?

6. What cerberus said.

7. Ri0, that is a northwood, but is a 533 mhz bus one, not a 400 mhz one (which is a).

8. Toshiba has some nice DVD/CDRW combos.

There's some other stuff I was thinking but I forgot right now. But how much money are you willing to spend?

-PC

Ugg yeah, I feel like such a retard now. Half knew then confirmed after the post. But on of my computer companys had it misposted. Btw where would one get some pc-3500 ram? It seems to be a rarity (at least up here in Canada)

Alag28 said:

Future Rig all from www.newegg.com

What a nice Cd-rom/w dvd combo?

In any parts I buy I AVOID AOpen AT ALL COSTS . I've had bad experiences, and when their phone # doesn't work, and the e-mail is returned undeliverable , they can't be a good company for customer service. (Maybe they just hate me)

My $.02

Back