• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking a BFG 7800 GT OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Slawek

Registered
I have a BFG 7800 GT OC. I just overclocked my cpu to 4ghz so I figure why not do the video card too.

I enable cool bits, and i hit detect optimal settings. It picks 490 mhz and 1.18ghz for the memory. So after trying these settings I See artifacting, so I drop it down to 475 & 1.15.

Do you guys think this is a safe overclock? Can it be possible that I'm causing worse performance by doing this? I have the stock cooler and stuff... at these speeds 3dmark06 gives me SM2.0 of 1728, and HDR/SM3.0 of 1701.

Card specs:
BFG GeForce™ 7800 GT OC™ 256MB
>> PCI Express™
>> Memory 256MB GDDR3
>> Core Clock 425MHz (vs. 400MHz standard)
>> Memory Clock 1050MHz (vs. 1000MHz standard)
>> RAMDAC Dual 400MHz
>> Microsoft® DirectX® 9.0 and lower, OpenGL 2.0 and lower for
Microsoft® Windows®
>> Connectors: Dual DVI-I, HDTV, VIVO
>> 850 million vertices/sec.
>> 33.6GB/second memory bandwidth

B000ATK54C.01-A9B09ZK9BZJQ6.PT03._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Last edited:
I'd say that if at 475 & 1.15 it's giving better performance that stock..then why not? And yes, you can decrease performance if you OC too much. It'll run, but it runs at lower speed to make up for errors caused by OC.

What I like to do is to run ATITools artifact checker dealie. use Coolbits and autodetect. And then check with ATI tool again. You can just tell fromt he 3D screen if you are OCing too high because the FPS will drop. In my case they went from like a 650 average down to around 300.
So I'd find the highest OC that I can do without it slowing down the FPS there and then do an articat test (I only ran it for like 5 minutes, the cards heat up pretty quick, so they'll get to the max temp within a minute)

Back