• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Samsung 43" 720p for computer monitor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alucard

I'm thinking about getting the Samsung 43" 720p 600Hz Plasma HDTV PN43E450A1F and using it both as a television and computer monitor. What do you guys think? I'm wondering if the 1024x720 max resolution would be a problem for text and games. Any other input is appreciated.

IMO 1080P is a much better resolution for computer usage...it's the size of two 8.5"x11" documents side by side, which really helps (research half screen, Word other half), plus games are going to look much sharper.

Stay away from plasmas for use as computer monitors, as they suffer from "burn in". It can burn ghost images into the screen. Only use LCD or LED/LCD for a computer monitor. The resolution for 720p is 1280x720 and text is very readable at a reasonable distance. Once you go up to 1080p, it becomes harder to read at a distance unless you have a larger display. You can adjust the size of text in windows though, and you always have Ctrl + for making web pages larger and easier to read. I hope this helps.

How close to you is this going to be?

Resolution wise, its a fairly low res, and comes with all those drawbacks. Games won't look as nice, everything is going to be bigger and not as sharp.

I'd not buy it, personally. I've got a 1920 x 1080 24" monitor, and I'd go higher res if I could.

Maybe if it was purely for gaming, but if you plan on doing anything else, I'd really hazard away from it.

I've tried using a TV as a computer screen and found that the maximum resolution that they list isn't the same as native resolution. You set most TV's to 1080p and the colours look all washed out. Set it to 1360x768 and its fine for games however unusable for anything else.

I tried a 32" Samsung for mine and ended up replacing it with my current 27" screen, which I can tell you leaves it for dead in every possible way. The 32" was that little bit too big, 27"s is perfect, not to mention at 2560x1440 things look one whole lot sharper.

I have a 720p sony tv I picked up a few years back that was hooked up to my computer for a while, it was only good for games and movies from~8feet away on the couch. It sucked as a monitor. And games looked more like a console than a pc at that res. That monitor mjw is talking about can display 4 complete 720p windows without overlap, thats how low the res is on a 720p tv.

If your display is a 1080P resolution display (and 40" or larger), then is more than likely the native resolution. If the colors are washed out, then either you need to adjust some settings on the tv or you bought a cheap junk tv. Samsung makes great plasmas, but not so with lcd's). My 55" looks great with my computer, but it took some adjustment of settings on the tv and the graphics control panel to get it perfect (for $1000+ tv it better look great). When LCD was still new I bought a 32" 720p tv to use as a monitor, and it was craptastical. I was using it on my desk within 2.5-3' and I could see the pixel lines. The colors weren't that great either. Needless to say it got returned very quickly. A thing to consider when using lcd tv's as monitors is response time, and input lag from features like "clear frame" and the likes. These can make games unbearable at best, completely unplayable at worst if you can not disable them or they are not good. If you are looking at using a display as a tv and a monitor, then size and quality are the key to being happy with what you buy. If that means that you have to save longer to get a better display, then so be it. It should be an investment that you enjoy for 7-10 years, and must be looked at in that perspective. If you buy the walmart special, then you get what you paid for. If you buy a quality set, then you will be much happier in the long run. These are just my informed opinions, and take them as you will.

Back