• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6800 GS question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

www2

Registered
I am pretty new to all this overclocking stuff.....

After a week of studying I managed to OC my amd +3200 and it all good.After that was finnishd I moved to clock my graphic card.

Now I am OC'ing my 6800 gs and I have a few questions:

DEFAULT SETTINGS : 430/1012

1. I started to oc with CORE clock and got to 480 and I still saw no artifacts, is this OK, I mean is this too much or is it normal to go that high

2. At 480 I stoped as core temp was at 75 C after an hour of 3DMark06. Is this temp OK or should I lower the Core clock

3. After I am finished with Core clocking and want to move to Memory clocking do I put the Core back to default ( 430 ) or do I leave it at 480 and start to clock Memory

4. When trying to unlock the pipelines does the card have to be on default or can I unlock it while the card is overclocked

when i unlocked my 6800gs it was the AGP NV40 (core version) as far as i can remember the PCIe 6800gs had the NV42 core that couldnt be unlocked. when you open rive tuner does it say NV40 or 42?

example
nulockednv40.jpg

I know when I was unlocking my AGP nv40 cored 6800gs a lot of people were saying that the PCIe versions couldn’t be unlocked.

/sidenotes – the 7900gs’s couldn’t be unlocked back then too – something about the PP were laser cut or some such. I know recently people in these forums have been able to unlock there “BFG” model 7900gs’s

I would give it a shot. I’ll post the whole screen shot from when I unlocked my 6800 – granted it was with a way old version of rivatuner – so some things might be moved around, but it will give you a good idea.

sorry for the biggness
riva1.jpg

OK there is something really strange going on here.

I cleared my card from dust ( a lot of it) and put one old cr@p fan (default fan for my amd +3200) to blow on top of the card and got some serious results.

As I said my default was 430/1012.....and now i have it up to 520/1062 and still no sign of artifacts or snow?????

Also note that I didnt even start to raise some serious Memory as you see, (getting tired of running the 3dMark, a lot of time).

Is this normal or not?

Dust can hold a lot of heat in. personally I would take the clocks as hi as I could go w/o artifacts. I know the PCIe version is clocked a lot higher out of the gate, my 6800gs would only do 450/1200 and that was with a vf-700cu cooler on it. Stock for my card was 350core (me thinks) so I was happy with 450core out of it.

It’s that 256bit interface I like.

OK.....no unlocking for me then.

Just tried it ans all i got was a complete freze and like 10 rebots not going past bios.......

I got scared for a moment there but managed to boot in a safe mode and uninstaled Riva so than got to windows normally and once again instaled Riva and all is good.

Gona keep trying to overclock it tommorow, dont have a patience to wait for 3dMark all night......its 2 in the morning here

Sorry but your right there is no way to unlock a PCI-E 6800GS.Ive had 2 of them.I have 2 Evga 6800GS's One is a Super clock 425/1050 which i just sold to Harlem357 and i still have the standard 425/1000 version. The Super clock card i never really OCed much but it would OC in SLI to 500/1100 but my 425/1000 standard GS would OC to 535/1270 with a NV5 rev3 .So im thinking your Gigabyte 6800GS should have a lot more OC potentail since gigbyte seems to put premium cores on their video cards

67c is a bit high.Are yours actively cooled?If so use gigabyte OCing tool or rivatuner to run the fan at 1005 that should put the temps at about 57c which is were my stock cooled GS's ran

What do you mean 1005...I have them set on 100% when on 3D????

Here's how it looks....dont laugh :cool:

Attachments

• Photo-0082.JPG
    Photo-0082.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 102
Back