• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best processor for overclocking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SWE_HELIX

Registered
Ok, so there is this big overclockingcompetition here in Sweden and i plan to win the part where the guy that gets the highest percentage overclock wins.. So i was wondering wich processor is the best for that. These processors are allowed:

Pentium II or better
Celeron or better
AMD K6 or better

I plan on using dryice cooling allso..
The winner last year used Liquid Nitrogen to overclock his 600MHz Duron to 1530MHz. But he won´t compete this year and I dont think that anyone else will use LN..

Ok, but it is pretty hard to find old celerons today.. Ill probably have to check out some used computers..

Try a Celeron 300A. They will overclock like crazy, since you are looking % OC, you should try that, (If you can find one:) )

CrashOv3r1De said:
Well by Pentiun II or better does Pentium 4 count?

If so the the 2.4C($173)

Well, you can "only" overclock that processor about 50% at max

georgelogy said:
Try a Celeron 300A. They will overclock like crazy, since you are looking % OC, you should try that, (If you can find one:) )

Yeah, that´s the problem.. finding one..

There are 300A's going on E-bay for $5, but I think the shipping to Sweden would be very expensive.

Roflmao his in Sweden...Since its a small cpu and weighs less, shipping will be no more than 50 dollars :)

cheapest up to date processors:

1700+ DLT3C ThoroughbredB, with phase change, a few get to 3Ghz, overclock of more than 100%. hard to find though, so you might have better luck finding 1800+ DLT3Cs.

1.6A and 1.8A: some overclock to more than 3Ghz, one good example is Larva's 1.8A at 3.4Ghz with air cooling. Put that in a phase changed cooling setup, and 100% overclock might be possible.

otherwise, go with 300A if you can get the parts to get a working system.

but I guess if that guy had such great results with a 600Mhz Duron, you might as well give it a try too, after all, they can't cost much nowadays.

you might actually have more luck going with this cheap route, as with the same cash you can buy many processors to try and find that special one. gotta make sure you know what steppings of that Duron you need to look for though.

Last edited:
too bad its not for fsb, I popped a duron1.3 into my nf7-s, watercooled and volt modded, and 4 hours later i got a 388 mhz FSB(seriously!) long enough to boot into windows for about 12 seconds before it BSOD'd and popped the die, almost got cpuid open!.....oh well at least i got a 1.3ghz key chain out of the deal, too bad no one believes me.....:( no cpuid no trust.....

Do you want to have the most bang for the buck or the highest % overclock for bragging rights? Those two questions have different answers- first one qualifies for the Celeron replies, second one for the XP1700+ and 2.4C ones...

Well I have to get the highest % overclock.. And the first prize is a Vappochill Titanium :D:D:D

But ill try to get an old Celeron from the scrapheap or a friend.. And then use Dry Ice and Acetone to cool it..

Sure.. If i get the basic parts first.. And ill probably throw up a video too or something.

OMG DUDES! I´ve found this cool Swedish site that sells all kinds of crappy computer parts for like 1-10$ :D And I´ve allready found a 300MHz Celeron :D

Last edited:
A 1400 duron with a 'B' core would get you the highest. That sucker overclocks as well or even better than any other 'B' thoroughbred and it starts out a lot slower than the 1700+ or 1800+. Just my advice.

300A is by far the best CPU to get teh highest % overclock.
AXIA Athlon's @ 1GHz are not far behind in that highest % overclock as 1.4GHz is almost a sure thing, and we extreme cooling like you plan 1.6GHz should be doable...

Now if you want to do a flash overclock, to get the highest screen shoot... its really a crap shoot. But you are going to want a motherboard that can feed alot of voltage into your CPU. Also, make sure you dont get limited by your RAM

Back