• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive and Shorts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aldamon

How serious is the threat of a short when using Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive? I don't particulary want to apply silicone to every pin on my board before sticking on some MOSFET sinks. :bang head I probably should have gone with Alumina Adhesive.

I have used it on many things in the past and never have had a problem. I have always been careful when applying it though. What you can do is cover the pins with clear tape and once the adhesive sets up just pull off the tape.

^^ edit: good idea arabarabian!

i killed my old gpu memory with artic silver adhesive, i'd say its risky. i'm not sure whether its more conductive when wet or dry, but i think wet. Use extreme caution or just use alumina, when ur dealing with mosfets, silver or white goop really doesn't make a difference that would yield different results in preformance.

Korndog said:
^^ edit: good idea arabarabian!

i killed my old gpu memory with artic silver adhesive, i'd say its risky.

Damn. Well, I guess I'll just use it on the Southbridge sink and put it away. No pins there. What ticks me off is I added it to an existing order to save on shipping and now I have to order Alumina Adhesive as well. :temper: Are there any other household uses for this stuff? LOL.

aldamon said:
Damn. Well, I guess I'll just use it on the Southbridge sink and put it away. No pins there. What ticks me off is I added it to an existing order to save on shipping and now I have to order Alumina Adhesive as well. :temper: Are there any other household uses for this stuff? LOL.

I know what you mean. I got the 7 gram kit of this stuff for my mosfets and southsink. Needless to say, I have a ton left. I'm just waiting for a time working around the house, when I can think to myself, "You know what would be perfect here, some thermal adhesive."

Well, I stopped being a ***** and gave it a shot :) I took my time applying it to the MOSFETS and everything seems to be fine. My Southbridge heatsink is stuck on mighty fine too. Good stuff.

Back