• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VCore in BIOS is DIFFERENT from VCore in CPUZ & SpeedFan?! HELP PLS!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

frostdiamond

Registered
I am a newbie to OC, so any help / advise is appreciated =) !

My spec is as below in my signature.

I OCed my CeleronD 320 from 2.4G to a whopping 3.6G, by increasing FSB from 133 to 200. I also manually adjusted the voltage down to 1.375V.

Got into Windows 2000, everything is fine. SpeedFan shows 34C / 40C for MB and CPU at idle. This is with stock cooling that came with boxed CeleronD, opened case with no side panels, not even extra fans.

NOW HERE'S THE PROBLEM. Although I manually set VCore to 1.375V in BIOS, both SpeedFan & CPUZ shows VCore as 1.44V in Windows. WHY??

It's common sense that lower VCore = lower Tmp = better life, so I really would like to FIX my VCore @ 1.375V. But exactly how do I do that? Please people, shed some light =)

Last edited:
Thanks mate, it's good to be in this forum that's filled with tons of experienced OCers.

Alright, so you are saying that the VCore reading / settings in BIOS is unreliable? So I should rely on CPUZ, which says 1.44V then eh? Now is there a way to reduce the voltage?

By the way, how did you achieve dual channel with 1.5G? The only way I can think of is 1 + 512?

frostdiamond said:
Thanks mate, it's good to be in this forum that's filled with tons of experienced OCers.

Alright, so you are saying that the VCore reading / settings in BIOS is unreliable? So I should rely on CPUZ, which says 1.44V then eh? Now is there a way to reduce the voltage?

By the way, how did you achieve dual channel with 1.5G? The only way I can think of is 1 + 512?

no, what im saying is that the reading/setting in bios is much more realistic then the motherboard sensor.

8KNXP has 6 ram slots
Slot1=512
Slot2=256
Slot3=
Slot4=512
Slot5=256
Slot6=
;)

I heard that BIOS readingsa are ALWAYS higher than readings in Windows, since some kind of CPU optimization only works under Windows? So BIOS reading might be accurate, but they probably don't represent the actual temp while running OS.

Anyway, I am still looking for a method to fix the VCore @ 1.375V. By the looks of it, a few people read this thread, but only 1 had some suggestions?

My friend, if all your DIMM goes up to 1G, you can max out with 6G eh =) Awesome!

you cannot rely on the voltage sensors, that's what he's saying. the voltage cpu-z and speedfan show are likely to be inaccurate. if you want to know for sure then use a multimeter to measure the voltage, otherwise trust what you set in bios.

Just called ASUS techsupport, they too said that readings within Windows probably isn't accurate, so that 1.44V could be false. They said the VCore should be whatever I set in the BIOS, in this case it's 1.375V.

Do you guys think 1.375V is about the right value for a CeleronD 2.4G to run @ 3.6G?

frostdiamond said:
Just called ASUS techsupport, they too said that readings within Windows probably isn't accurate, so that 1.44V could be false. They said the VCore should be whatever I set in the BIOS, in this case it's 1.375V.

Do you guys think 1.375V is about the right value for a CeleronD 2.4G to run @ 3.6G?
whats the default?

This is kind of embarassing, but I don't really know what the default is. I've seen 2 CPUZ screenshots of CeleronD 320 on Google, and VCore appear to be 1.344V & 1.392V, both are E0 Stepping (mine). So I guess the fact that I can run 3.6G @ 1.375V is quite a good thing?

frostdiamond said:
This is kind of embarassing, but I don't really know what the default is. I've seen 2 CPUZ screenshots of CeleronD 320 on Google, and VCore appear to be 1.344V & 1.392V, both are E0 Stepping (mine). So I guess the fact that I can run 3.6G @ 1.375V is quite a good thing?
:bang head :bang head :bang head

well, i did alittle research and its somewhere between 1.25-1.40v, lol. so i think its fine that you are running it under 1.4v. if you are correct about your stepping, then your sspec is SL7VW, which is the worst out of the 3 steppings, since it puts out 89W of heat, while the other two steppings, the D0 and C0 put out 73W, but its alright, just watch your temps.

fAlCoNNiAn said:
:bang head :bang head :bang head

well, i did alittle research and its somewhere between 1.25-1.40v, lol. so i think its fine that you are running it under 1.4v. if you are correct about your stepping, then your sspec is SL7VW, which is the worst out of the 3 steppings, since it puts out 89W of heat, while the other two steppings, the D0 and C0 put out 73W, but its alright, just watch your temps.

Thanks for digging out the info!

The lowest VCore I can set on My P4P800SE is 1.375V, so I am stuck with it. Believe me if I could, I'd lower it even further.

E0 might produces most heat, but all PRESCOTT produces high heat :). I heard E0 is the best of all 3 steppings, OC-wise. That appears to be true indeed, since I bumped a 2.4 to 3.6, WITH STOCK CPU FAN.

That said, I am planning on getting a new case (probably COOLMASTER) with 1 front 120mm fan and 2 rear 80mm fan, plus a JET fan to cool my Celeron (and soon, a 3.4E).

One more thing. You said I should watch the temp, I assume you mean the temp readings in SpeedFan? If so:

@ 3.6G, stock fan, IDLE, CPU = 38C
@ 3.6G, stock fan, MAX LOAD, CPU = 47C

Does this sound right to you? I'll get a new case with complete cooling system and a jet CPU fan soon, by then temp should be much lower.

sounds about right, but run prime torture test (max heat/power consumption) and run throttlewatch (to monitor if it throttles) while looking at your temps, if you can run that in 6~8 hours with no throttling and no errors in prime, i say your golden. ;)

#1 I downloaded Prime 95, will go home and run it.

#2 I found the chip spec charts @ Intel. Looks like default VCore is as you said, 1.287V - 1.4V. I also called ASUS, they said the lowest VCore I can set for P4P800SE is 1.375V, so there we go. You are right, the 1.44V reading in CPUZ and SpeedFan is definitely false.

#3 I am planning on getting some Arctic Silver to reduce the temp further, do you agree with this action?

Trying to put a screenshot here, it's a direct link from Image Shack, hope this works. If you can see it, let me know what you think eh.

My friends, as you see on the screenshot above, the VCore actually DROPS in max load! WTH?! You'd think it'd go up! I'll run the test for 3 hours tonight, and 6+ hours in the weekends, hopefully I'm GOLDEN!

Can't wait to get my new case and air cooling system.

Back