• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

will this loop work? (H100 mod)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

buradd

here is my rig with paintbrush blueprint

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l234/buradd/loopidea.png

heres a easier to see pic but its with one GTX460 instead of the two 6870's

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l234/buradd/loopblueprint.png

this is not my idea, i am looking at this post here:

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1221291&mpage=1

which is a guy who followed a guide over here

http://www.electronicspub.com/article/23/3/Corsair-H70-mod-guide.html

any help will be great! thanks!

p.s. dont talk me out of it, parts are already here ;)

:welcome: to the Overclockers.com Forum

What cpu are you using?
My personal opinion, Im not a big fan of watercooling kits. But if you insist on doing the H100 mod, your going to need an extra radiator. Maybe 120.1 or 140.1

Last edited:
thanks for the welcome!

i am using an AMD 1100T @ 4.2GHz

i'm confused on why i would need an extra radiator.. i'm stable as it is with the stock H100.. i figured adding the reservoir would simply drop temps even more...

the guy in the guide i am following has pics of his completed h100 mod (my 3rd link in original post) and it looks as if he did the same mod just adding a reservoir to his H100 loop

i am also unsure if that top barb on the h100 blockpump is indeed the inlet barb and the bottom being the outlet barb

also one more quick question - i have not received my silver kill coil yet in the mail, would it be safe to run this loop without a kill coil for a few days until it arrives?

thanks!

Adding a reservoir shouldn't have nearly the effect on temps that the guide you linked has gotten. The two things I can think of would be that his first results were with a really bad mount or somehow testing variables weren't the same.

Possibly the new tubing allowed for better flow rate but I still don't see how that would have such an effect on temps, unless his original tubing had a partial blockage or something.

Usually adding a reservoir of any size just determines how long it takes before your temperatures peak.

i noticed that the small FFT prime test brings my cores passed 56C and the chip passed 61C so i stopped it, the stock H100 cant handle 4.2GHz torture test apparently but it was fine to play BF3 for hours without issue

i have heard that these Hxx units come with such little fluid, and about 7-8% air in the closed loop, that when you open them up and refill them with new tubes and lots of distilled water in a res. that you would get much more efficiency and obviously lower temps.. i saw alot of people doing the same mod's to H70 and H50's, none added anything more than new tubes, reservoir, and much more liquid to flow thru the pump and radiator

i hope i dont have to buy a new radiator because thats the whole point of this mod is to be thrifty :)

Yes, adding a 240 would help a lot.

i have the 240 already that came with the H100, and was thinking of adding a swiftech 120, i dont believe i'd have room for two 240's in my case, its a corsair 500R

i have the 240 already that came with the H100, and was thinking of adding a swiftech 120, i dont believe i'd have room for two 240's in my case, its a corsair 500R

Yeah, I misread. the 120 will bring temps down. how much, I can't really say. i have a swiftech mcr320 and an mcr220 and that is cooling my oc'd i7 and 2 570's

Yeah, I misread. the 120 will bring temps down. how much, I can't really say. i have a swiftech mcr320 and an mcr220 and that is cooling my oc'd i7 and 2 570's

ok so definatley just adding the Res isn't going to drop temps at all right? even if it means more liquid filling the radiator which I've heard is grossly underfilled by corsair with air inside the loop too

Im considering making this mod happen now by only adding Res and new tubes and then seeing where it gets me exactly then adding another radiator accordingly .. one concern I have with adding another radiator is even more volume for the non-warranty H100 pump to move

ok so definatley just adding the Res isn't going to drop temps at all right? even if it means more liquid filling the radiator which I've heard is grossly underfilled by corsair with air inside the loop too

Im considering making this mod happen now by only adding Res and new tubes and then seeing where it gets me exactly then adding another radiator accordingly .. one concern I have with adding another radiator is even more volume for the non-warranty H100 pump to move

adding the res should not drop the temps. if there is air in the loop, removing that would help quite a bit. yeah, I don't know much about the pump on the h100, I built a custom loop :/

The liquid in a water cooling loop eventually reaches an equilibrium. If you are using the same amount of radiator surface area to cool with the same fan, you will not see much of a change in temperature. In fact, the only advantage I can see to modifying the loop is changing out the coolant that is used for distilled water. Distilled water transfers heat better than the coolant used in LCLC systems, but I'm not sure how much of an improvement in temps you'll see without adding more radiator or higher speed fans.

If you're worried about adding another radiator due to flow restriction, you may want to look at getting a better pump and going with a water block instead.

Oh, and be absolute sure to use anti corrosive if you are going with that mod as the radiator is aluminum and will corrode over time.

The liquid in a water cooling loop eventually reaches an equilibrium. If you are using the same amount of radiator surface area to cool with the same fan, you will not see much of a change in temperature. In fact, the only advantage I can see to modifying the loop is changing out the coolant that is used for distilled water. Distilled water transfers heat better than the coolant used in LCLC systems, but I'm not sure how much of an improvement in temps you'll see without adding more radiator or higher speed fans.

If you're worried about adding another radiator due to flow restriction, you may want to look at getting a better pump and going with a water block instead.

Oh, and be absolute sure to use anti corrosive if you are going with that mod as the radiator is aluminum and will corrode over time.

ok so i really didnt want to do this, but i think im going to just throw the white towel in on the h100 mod, set this 5.25" bay res on my shelf and wait til i have enough money to purchase a pump and a NICE 240 radiator.. im going to need to get bigger tubes too, i purposely got these tiny 1/4" tubes to fit on the H100 barbs

man i thought for sure i'd get better temps, what a noob i am!

thanks for the help all of ya!

ok so i really didnt want to do this, but i think im going to just throw the white towel in on the h100 mod, set this 5.25" bay res on my shelf and wait til i have enough money to purchase a pump and a NICE 240 radiator.. im going to need to get bigger tubes too, i purposely got these tiny 1/4" tubes to fit on the H100 barbs

man i thought for sure i'd get better temps, what a noob i am!

thanks for the help all of ya!

gotta start somewhere! I waited 5 years (combination of lack of funds and fear of ruining components) before building my first custom loop. I remember pressing the power button for the first time with water inside, I was so nervous. when it powered on and made it to the bios and temps were low I had the greatest sense of satisfaction. I kept saying "It works, it works, it actually works!!!"

I still have that reaction everytime I power on a new WC'd rig.

haha, its subsided pretty quickly for me. I have taken apart and put back together my loop 4 times in the last month and its nothing now, lol. shouldn't have to take it apart now for a long time.

Well most of time it is on new HW that is for my benching rig. Nothing is worse then dead benching parts and no glorious amounts of voltage being put through them first.

Sorry, I didn't mean to talk you out of anything, I was just wanting to chime in on the topic. For what it is, the H100 is a good product, but I just don't see the point in modding it. I'd think it would be more of a hassle than anything. If you want to go for some lower temps in the meantime, you can try getting higher speed fans to use with it. Noise will go up but your temps will decrease as well.

Back