• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New CarPuter.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Krzysd

Registered
AMD Athlon X2 4450B 2.3GHz Socket AM2 45W Dual-Core Processor
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
JetWay JNC62K AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 8200 Mini ITX AMD

Testing pics.
a9315e1f.jpg

All hooked into a Xenarc X7000.
36f7b9f5.jpg

Custom Case i made with a custom case for the Power supply too.
DSC_6610.jpg
DSC_6609.jpg

the anger and frustration of poorly made motherboards. Destroyed the case :( but not the power supply. thank god for newegg RMA!
a2e83caf.jpg
DVI and AGP ports were also fried, but no proof of that except smell of burning electronics.

new case drawn up in inventor
untitled-6.jpg
then cut out in a laser.
dd683806.jpg

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? Questions?

That looks really sharp. Where do you plan to mount this? I can't imagine heat would be a very large issue with that hardware.

Have you used anything to cushion the harddrive? I know the roads up here would corrupt a drive pretty quick.

What do you plan to run on it? a media system or more of a navigation based deal?

Very nice, been thinking about installing a "CarPuter" in my Ford Ranger for some time. Where did you get the PSU?

Thanks for the comments.

this is going under the passenger seat, might move it to the trunk but im gonna see how it puts up there, the only heat issue i have is the sun lol

The hard drive i ordered said high g-force shock resistance so we'll see it thats true but i im going to be putting rubber gromets between the drive and case, maybe that will cusion it a little bit.

im gonna run windows xp on it.

i got the power supply from www.mini-box.com

Hopefully you will not have this same issue.

Pros: Its Mini-ITX, with an AM2 socket, seems to have a good feature list and is inexpensive.
Cons: Jetway is as cheap as you remember, the board has two NIC ports, but if both are enabled (default) the system will BSOD all day, if you use Jetways ghetto work around, they will both work, but will still occasionally BSOD. If you disable both, and fill the PCI slot with a regular card, the system no longer has this issue, but occasionally hangs. After 2 weeks of troubleshooting, I sent it back.
Other Thoughts: If you're looking for a feature packed mini ITX board the specs on this one are nice, but the board is made by a bad company, and is unstable. For some reason they provide the user with a huge array of overclocking options (I didn't use them), on a board that has a max CPU power consumption of 65W, they have to NIC ports which don't work with eachother, both enabled as default, its like they had a good product, and released it 2 months early without any long term testing. Wasted 2 weeks of my time trying to figure out the issues, buy a core 2 duo Intel ITX system, they're even available with a PCI-E slot, I replaced this board with an iBase M900.

So since its for the car, disable both when you install it. Simple fix!

Ya dude that's nice. It's going to be pretty sweet once you get it all in there.

Do you live in a nice area or something? I can barely keep an el-cheapo cd-player in my car; I've had them stolen 4 times in the last 7 years. Maybe I just have bad luck.

thanks for the comments, mobo didnt bsod first time with both enabled lol so dont know what hes talking bout.

sorry to hear that burningcpu i live in an ok area, not to bad of crime.

im having doubts about this jetway brand, people have been having either good or bad experience but never great, anyone ever have there stuff before?

Is that hooked up to a touch screen? I have always though about a carputer, and figured if I did I would have to go all out with a touch screen display.

SSD is the way to go for the HDDS.. not as much space but defintly meant o survive the harsh conditions of a car.

Do not know if they have fixed it yet. But LCDs do not survive well in the type of winters you are going to experience in illinois. Perhaps its okay, or you can make it removeable pretty easy (or simply add a heater to the back that keeps it above freezing :))

Wow...

All those heatsinks on an ITX board... never see nthat before :)

whats that dynatr* ...

EDIT: nm found the heatsink

Grats on your hard work and DEFINTLY put it in the trunk no sense in hiding that under a seat.

Extension cables on the VGA and USB and you will not have a problem putting the entire PC in the trunk :D

yup that is a touch screen, kinda hard to use your finger for small things so i use a stylus.

heres an update.

back of the case was to flimsy and to thin for clear angle brackets i found so made some 1/4" brackets for the outside. hard to do with out a drill press DOH!

Cheap Clamps
1b6e6928.jpg
Soap makes for great lube!
8b24c352.jpg
Longer side of bottem tapped holes(M4x0.7), use soap as lube!
e08fafa0.jpg
another view
d6e69c9f.jpg
drill into other flimsy side.
755ac94c.jpg
Testing i know the holes are crooked but oh well no ones gonna be looking at the bottem right!?
432d1fb4.jpg
Made hard drive slides to allow for better spacing if something gets in the way. also added the rubber as a cushion, we'll see if that works.
93e32a87.jpg
also tapped the holes for the motherboard, umm spacers? err risers! which is M3x0.50 if you were ever wondering.
2830898c.jpg
gotta cut the rubber, haha.... also gotta wait for the motherboard to come back from RMA :(. intill then no updates .
9674b23e.jpg

SSD is the way to go for the HDDS.. not as much space but defintly meant o survive the harsh conditions of a car.

Do not know if they have fixed it yet. But LCDs do not survive well in the type of winters you are going to experience in illinois. Perhaps its okay, or you can make it removeable pretty easy (or simply add a heater to the back that keeps it above freezing :))

Wow...

All those heatsinks on an ITX board... never see nthat before :)

whats that dynatr* ...

EDIT: nm found the heatsink

Grats on your hard work and DEFINTLY put it in the trunk no sense in hiding that under a seat.

Extension cables on the VGA and USB and you will not have a problem putting the entire PC in the trunk :D

well theres always hard drive warrentys :attn:

i thought about the winter also, looked up the operating temps and storage temps of the unit which are :

" Operating Temperature: 41°F ~ 131°F
Storage Temperature: -22°F ~ 185°F "

i do have an 18 month warrenty with that, so again if something goes wrong thank god for those warrentys LOL

that heat sink sucks, keeps it REALLY cool but its almost as loud as a vaccuum cleaner!

thanks for that link with the usb's im first gonna see how the thing survives under the passenger seat, if it gets kicked and hurted im gonna move it.

Back