• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

death

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

psyshack

Looks like the xp1700 box is down... went thru death throws. Suspect cpu and harddrive have shot there wad and lit up a smoke. There done for. Heck maybe even the msi board is done. Will look into it more later this week. Harddrive sounded like it spun a bearing. Take it out of the game and no post. Death throws involved massive repeated reboots. But would never get back into 2k after harddrive stoped rattleing. And wont post no matter what. Board dosent beep or whine. I suspect catstophic failure. Led's still work and all rails are good... grumble grumble grumble

catch ya later
psy

Probably just the mainboard. How do your systems fail? I mean, I have never had a PC fail me, as far as hardware, I accidently messed one up but on there own I have never had one fail. :shrug:

sorry to hear that man. i'm fighting similar with my xp 3200+..... its nearly kicked the bucket... and i'm doin' everything i can to keep it holding on.

How are you guys messing up those? Are you OCing the crap outta them? No sufficent cooling?

i don't know his problem... but something is borked on my board... deals with the memory controller is all i can figure out... i lost my dual-channel slot (its totally dead)... and am fighting losing my single channel slots... but its becoming super unstable again, and im afraid i'm gonna lose my entire rig soon.

no overclocks on mine, anyways... it was actually fast enough to suit my needs... LOL

dunno... its a k7n2 - Delta 2

great board, and when it worked, i loved it to death.. but the past month, its been giving me nothing but problems

Check voltage on rails, usually last thing people search for is bad PSU and usually has a tie to anything the computer does, try a different PSU you know that's good.

Yeah could be due to PSU failing or giving to much power at certian times and is frying your board. As for the top post I have no idea really what you mean when you say Death, though sounds like a bad mobo.

This boards a k7n2 delta also. Ive never like msi junk. But I got two of these on sale from fry's dirt cheap a year ago. They seem to run ok. There just not ocing boards.

Steve mother boards fail more than folks want to admit. There almost as bad as power supplys on the better watch out crap-o-la list.

If youve ever seen a mother board or any other large complex board assembled, is a wonder they work at all. I have a buddy that works with the machines that assemble large boards. Ive seen videos of some of his operations.

This board has been cranky from the start. All my stuff oc's or it gets thrown away. Looks like this is the thrown away part.

I have to go to OKC today and fix a rather large pump for a cust. I hope my rams in for the abit rig. If so I'll slap that in then look father into the death of the 1700.

Steve you sound suprized at failure. Wehn you oc puters your bound to find the junk. And you will find it faster :)

psy

The k7n2 delta-2 looks to be the problem. PSU seems ok. rails look good its now powering another machine. xp1700 looks fine. holding 166 mhz fsb oc with no problems. Max it would ever do and stable is 195, its locked. Ram and harddrive seem fine. Optical drives are ok. Evern the old gf-2 is still in the game. Even the floppy drive is good... so it looks like the si has shot craps. Will pull it and give it the once over. Put it all back together. Jump out PSU and go looking for voltage. If its all in the right places,, look abit deeper. But Im not going to spend alot of time on this board. Looking into the near future I see another nf7-s v2.

fold on
psy

yeah... i'm about to bury mine. gotta hold on to it till i get some money put back... but that'll take a while... my wife and i are stretching for pennies as it is

Welp the board is gone. Cant tell if bios is blown or what. No physical damage on it. Voltages found in all the right places. all fan headers are hot. Theres heat in the NB and SB. Its gone.

Yeah!!!! now I can go buy a real mother board Yeah!!!

Both these MSI K7N2 Delta 2's have been wierd from the start. Sometimes cranky to get boothed sometimes not. They have been stable when running with so so overclocks on them. but there kinda like.. i hate to say it. A DIY Dell class of board with afew features. That are only half arse done at best :)

psy

Damn, I wish this thread had been posted 2 weeks ago as I just rebuilt a friend's rig with the K7N2 Delta2 LSR mobo. I sure hope it doesn't crap out on them in a year or so too. :( At least it shouldn't be pushed too hard as it only has a pally 1800 in it am I'm only letting corecell overclock it to 1620 MHz at default vcore.

Setting it up wasn't bad at all at least and no problems with the install either. It's replacing an old Iwill KK266-R mobo that finally packed it in.

yeah... i've had mine since last november, and its given me nothing but problems.

i think i've finally figured it out. When ambient (room temp) reaches 80F.... is when it dies.... and i have to turn it off and let the temp go back down to 60 before attempting to run it again.

TollhouseFrank said:
yeah... i've had mine since last november, and its given me nothing but problems.

i think i've finally figured it out. When ambient (room temp) reaches 80F.... is when it dies.... and i have to turn it off and let the temp go back down to 60 before attempting to run it again.

Frank I found mine to have a bad trace... Flex the board with a really hurt duron in it and it will try to boot. Chasing down a temp board level thing is hard. Ive done it in the past with freon :). Work the board to death. As it starts getting shakey squirt freon in exact areas on the board. If a component is failing under heat it can be found that way. BUT,,, tree huggers will hate you!!! And freon cost alot now days :( and frankley <<< lololol ,, there not worth it. Boards where worth it when they cost a grand. Fifty to hundred bucks, Im poping the sinks off this one and going to torch it for sam and take a pic.

psy :cool:

Hey Psy,

At my job I regularly use cans of "canned air" inverted to spray the liquid on parts to test them. The ones I use have 1,1,1,2 tetrafluoroethane in them. It works real well to see the parts that are heating up real quick, or sometimes a flash or dram chip won't work unless it is frozen.

But you are right, too much effort. Besides do you know how hard it is to get some chips used on motherboards. I know I have tried and the distributors won't give me the time of day unless I order thousands. :shrug:

Let it burn :mad: Take plenty of pics!!

AMD_OCER

Back