• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Filesharing over the net?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lancelot

My bro-in-law and me both have broadband cable. Lately we are sending eachother more and more files thru MSN or AIM but it's sloooooow and prolly unsafe. I have WS-FTP, can this be used to create our personal FTP-server and if so how? Or if anyone else knows a proggy we could use...

If you have the WS-FTP server, you can. I know that there's a WS-FTP client that is pretty common. The two ftp servers I've had experience with are serv-u and bulletproof ftp server, but I'd say just about anything would get the job done. You may want to look into http://www.guildftpd.com/. It seems like an easy to setup and free ftp server.

It depends on your situation, but Bittorrent would also work. You just make a torrent, and give him the tracker. Then you could set up multiple files for upload/download and regulate up/down speed too.

How big of files are you trying to send/recieve? How slow is slow? Your max download is going to be his max upload, and visa-versa. Most broadband connections can't upload more the 30-40kbps

Mine is 55kps up and over 500kps down. I'll give that skype thingy a try tonight, and maybe the other tips as well...

You also might want to consider waste (http://waste.sourceforge.net/) if you're after more of a p2p approach than just sending a file here and there. It's like a p2p program in the sense that you choose a folder (or folders) to share and such except the only people that can access it are the ones you decide to add to your server. It would be like having an ftp server on your computer as well as his and having access to it as long as both of you are connected.

Lancelot said:
Mine is 55kps up and over 500kps down. I'll give that skype thingy a try tonight, and maybe the other tips as well...

yea see this uses all upspeed, so if you can send at 50kb/s and he has the same connection and can send at 50kb/s most anything you use is still going to seem moderately slow as it's only 10% of the speeds your used to getting, although msn is probably giving you slower speeds than that even

Back