• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A64 selection / few questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Killa-AMD

I've finally decided to go 64 bit. I'm looking at socket 754 along with a Nforce3 250 chipset. I am leaning towards the good Chaintech board that retails around 80 bucks unless there is a big benefit for spending another 20-30 bucks for another.

Am I better off going w/ a64 3000+(512k) or 3200(1mb). I have heard the 3000+ are better OC'ers. I want a decent stepping...is there a way to get that? Excaliber PC isn't selling any certain codes and I heard CG or AX is the one to get. I'm a lil confused on this though. I'd like 2.5 ghz though.

Anyone know where to get those steppings?!?!?! HELP

Other suggestions/comments welcome. thanks

Last edited:
Well to answer your first question about the mobo's: Yes there is a benefit to getting a higher priced/better board, but is it worth it to you?

With a better board (such as the new DFI, or MSI Neo, or Epox) you may be able to achieve that 2500+ OC easier and more stable. This is primarily because the Vcore voltage on those boards will allow you to go higher. Also the Vdimm will allow (correct me if im wrong) a 3.3v increase.

My board, the Gigabyte K8NS Pro 250, which im extremely happy with, limits my vcore to 1.7 and my vdimm to +.2v (up to 2.9). Alot of this is a matter of preference. I can get over 2400 with my 64 3000+ CH. Although the NC's OC better, the CH will give you that added cache that the NC does not have, so its a trade off depending on what you are going for. As far as the Mhz range of the OC between the 3000+ and 3200+ you can check out the sticky in the AMD section about peoples benchmarks they got. As with anything, you know that cooling makes all the difference, and so does your fsb/ram ratio. If you get some ddr500 memory, you can use your 1:1 ratio and get better performance.

From what I hear it's not possible to get clawhammer anymore (C0 stepping) which has more cache, but doesnt OC as much. Course, you have to OC 100-200 mhz more with the newcastle version to make up for the lack of cache. As for the board, Mdogs is right, the more the money, most likely it'll be better build, but I'd just suggest you look at reviews such as can be found at anandtech.com among many others. As for the a64 3200 vs 3000, the 3000 will prob OC relatively more, but again, the lack of cache = lower performance unless compensated by a higher OC. Check hitechjbs stickey for more information on just how much a performance hit it is.

i personally have the 3000+ CH w/ CG stepping, and i like it, nice chip. I am not an EXTREME overclocker, but i do my fair share. i am currently running what is in my sig stable at the moment. You may want to look into that DFI landparty board that just came out. Has vn OC options in the bios. Only 1 thing i did not like about it is the memory capacity. It has 3 mem slots. You can ONLY use all 3 if you use DDR333 or under.........DDR400 and higher only possible to use 2 slots w/ a max of 2gigs. Id rather use the 3 slots for 3 gigs like i have on my gigabyte. Im more of a person who plans for expansion, rather than inital speed right now.....i guess its a trade off.

You can get the clawhammers, both C0 and CG revesions, but it is difficult to find these cores in the 3200+ desktop chips.

Shaitan said:
From what I hear it's not possible to get clawhammer anymore (C0 stepping) which has more cache, but doesnt OC as much. .
you can still get CH's in many flavors. although the 3200 desktop is become rare. and also you could end up w/ a C0 revision w/ on the average, doesnt oc as good.

here i just one example of a CH 754 still avalible..

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-443&depa=0

its a 3200 DTR 1m, CG. you will most likely need an aftermarket HSF for it(or true mobiles) due to the lack of a heatspeader.

alot of boards have varied/no support for mobile/dtr's. some have good support. the new DFI a64 board just released a new bios today, giving full mobile/dtr support....

Like Jess says I think there is problematic support of mobile processors for most mobos. Many require reflash BIOS etc. which requires a standard desktop chip in the first place to do the flashing.

As far as the mobos go, like many says I think Chaintech is the way to go for inexpensive solution and the new DFI is the way to go if you want to spend some money. But the DFI is backordered everywhere...

As far as Clawhammer (1MB Cache) CG goes.. it's fairly hard to find an inexpensive standard desktop 3200. I had to settle for a cheap 3400 Clawhammer CG. Personally from the data seen I dont know how much overclock difference there is between C0 and CG cores.

I found a retailer that sells AX 2800+ 64's for 140 + shipping. I will probably end up getting that or the 3000+ along with the chaintech board. If I can get 300-400 mhz OC that would be satisfactory. I'm not doing anything super extreme at the moment.

billy_cat said:
Like Jess says I think there is problematic support of mobile processors for most mobos. Many require reflash BIOS etc. which requires a standard desktop chip in the first place to do the flashing.

oh just to clarify, the DFI will post w/ mobiles/DTR's on the stock bios, so w/ the DFI you wouldnt need a Desktop to flash(althogh alot of mobsos, you would, but even this can be worked around, if you have an NF7 and a can hot flash, and yes you can hotflash NF3 w/ Nf7:D), it just has posting issues(i, and others had to power on, power off three times, and then it would post). but the newest beta bios(link in sig) has fixed the posting issues:D

El<(')>Maxi said:
Get the 3000, the 2800's OC like crap :D

not all of them. its more the 2800 Clawhammer that dont oc good. the 2800 NC's do good. but i would still recommend the 3000NC over the 2800, fo two reasons, one, the price isnt that much more, and 2, you get a 10x cpu multi, instead of an 8(2800CH) or a 9(2800NC/3000CH)

I am looking at the 2800+ AX stepping...I heard that could achieve 2.3+ ghz. I realize a 10 multi is better but 30 bucks more and i heard the 3000+ NC were not that great. Was i told wrong information? I figure 250 fsb will be needed regardess so I'm looking at Ballistix or Samsungs tccd unless I keep my 1gb OCZ 3200LL platinum and use dividers to save some cash.

After I sell all my core components + water kit for socket A. I'm getting a amd 64 setup for about 50-75 bucks so price is a lil issue.

Back