• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Verbatim 48 X 16 X48 CD/RW-$9.99 @Officemax

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mata2974

Checkout this one at OfficeMax in the Sunday Newspaper, originally $80-down to $9.99 after MFR. It says 48 X 16 X48 CD/RW on the ad, but when you open the box its a 48 X 24 X48 CD/RW......This is what I found out today.......check it out

Its a Verbatim model
Actual CDRW hardware, unbelievable. .....It starts $89.99-$30 instant rebate-$30 mfr's mail-in-rebate-$20 OfficeMax mail-in-rebate +$9.99

WARNING==YOUR MILAGE MAY VARY!!!

Office Max is substituting several drives for the one that is pictured in the ad (a Verbatim). You may end up with a Cendyne (like I did) or a Hi-Val as well. Some of these may even be rebadged Liteons. The speeds may vary slightly. However, as several of you already know, you can often update your BIOS in the drive to increase the speeds anyway.

Heck, like at $10 it really matters anyway. I've been looking for a replacement CD-ROM drive for the longest time and can't find any close to $10. I guess they are just not making strictly readers any more because it costs so little to make them writers/re-writers as well.

In case you are wondering, this offer is available on-line as well:

http://www.officemax.com/max/soluti...xpansionOID=-536892754&prodBlockOID=537030073

FYI: The above link is often down due the the large amount of traffic on the officemax.com website. Just refresh a few times and the page will load (eventually).

they have some free (after MIR) cd-r's too...just look in the media section :)

EDIT: Must have pulled them or sold out...they're listed as "unavailable" now

Whether OfficeMax has any of these left or not is questionable, but like I said, I got a Cendyne 48x12x48 on Sunday, and I'm sure that they were out of stock by the end of the day. You might luck out at your local store, however, and there is always the chance that more may be shipped in. I noticed that there is no disclaimer in the ad, so you may be able to score a raincheck.

I actually opened mine up today to send in the rebate and noticed that my CD/RW is actually a Samsung 48x24x48 drive (at least that's what's printed on the bezel). I'll be plugging it in later tonight and try it out...

Good luck to the rest of you!

Back