• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is there any way to disable the hardware change scanning?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

L337 M33P

I have XP Home and I am about to install a new motherboard - but the really annoying thing is that when I go into device manager and try to uninstall everything with the word "ViA" in it, 3 minutes later XP goes off and finds all the uninstalled hardware again :mad: - when I'm still halfway through removing all the controllers.

Any ideas? - after I reboot when one device is uninstalled Win XP is ever so nice and installs it again when it gets to the desktop gggrrr.

OK - here goes nothing...

thx for the info :D

EDIT
Ok I'd better not -
Enables a computer to recognize and adapt to hardware changes with little or no user input. Stopping or disabling this service will result in system instability.

Just remove the drivers from Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel then turn your system off and change the mainboards. Boot your system off the windows CD and choose to repair the installation.

L337 M33P said:
I have XP Home and I am about to install a new motherboard - but the really annoying thing is that when I go into device manager and try to uninstall everything with the word "ViA" in it, 3 minutes later XP goes off and finds all the uninstalled hardware again :mad: - when I'm still halfway through removing all the controllers.

Any ideas? - after I reboot when one device is uninstalled Win XP is ever so nice and installs it again when it gets to the desktop gggrrr.

if you are going to install a new motherboard, i suggest you go to do al CLEAN and FULL installation.

trust me, whatever you are doing right now won't save you in the long run. You will have more problems than you ever imagine even though it only saves you time from NOT installing everything over again

A clean install will always be the best but if you have too much to backup now and you are impatient then run a repair install and this will get you up and running.

Yes I do have way too much stuff to risk installing windows again, but I will burn CDR backups of my most important files anyway

Turns out that my OEM manufacturer's "recovery CD" is actually a WinXP CD in itself :p:p - props to MESH - but is it a bootable CD? one way to find out...

Uh oh - I tried booting from CD only but now strange things are happening - it went and booted up in 640x480 and then went through finding all the new hardware, now I get "run DLL as an APP" illegal operation errors when I close dialogue boxes - methinks it's time for reinstall.

Urg - installin meh new motherboard is going to be a feat of logistics - Will the install of XP work without the nVidia IDE drivers? I assume that the install will use generic drivers and a rather good guide on the [H] recommends doing it during install.

L337 M33P said:

"unplug and pray" lol

yeah it shouldnt be too much of a problem

but i would to a fresh install

Here goes nothing - uninstalled most of the apps on my PC, and have taken it all out. Put new motherboard in and now it's time for poweron...

there's a reg hack for the mobo bind for XP, will try to get it from my bud. its so that windows XP thinks the bord is something else for copy purposes, but otherwise it works fine (full support and drivers, etc)

Cheers, but I have it humming away flawlessly now :)

Except for no readily apparent reason on bootup the POST reporter says "system failed Memory Test" but then says "blabla POST complete boot to OS blabla" and works fine lol.

Back