• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What could be holding back my cel. 700?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pero69

Registered
running a celeron 700 @ 875 Mhz. It runs completely stable WHEN it runs. Sometimes when i hit the power button to start it up, nothing happens. (like there isnt even a CPU there) I cant figure out what the problem is. Any help appreciated, thx in advance :)

System is:
Intel Celeron 700 @ 875 (would like to go higher :)
512 MB PNY PC-133 ram
32 MB Nvidia Riva tnt2 4x/2x compatible
motherboard is by Creative, Called "Blaster Board" version M003NL47 With Soundblaster Live 5.1 Platinum
Intel 440BX chipset
(could just be a bad MB for overclocking as i cant find voltage selection anywhere)

Last edited:
Hi pero69, welcome to the Forum,
First of all you must check your chip temps, I suggest MotherBoardMonitor that you can found at http://mbm.livewiredev.com/ and never must go over 40-45 degree C @full load (100% load).
If the temps are higher, you must add some case fans and replace the Cpu cooler (forget Thermaltake!!!) with an high performance cooler, and use always a very thin layer of thermal paste on the Cpu core.

I hope it helps you ;)

yeah, tried to use that program before. i dont believe i have any of the chips is looks for :mad:

Not totally sure if it could be the temp though, cause the only problems it has is when starting up. It acts the same as if i were to not have a CPU in it, then the next time i start it up, it works perfect.

Well, if your chip temps are right (around 40 degree C @full load), probably all depends by the Pci freq. that with a Fsb of 83Mhz is around 41.5Mhz (1/2 of the Fsb), very far from the standard freq. of 33Mhz, and can give more probs to the Pci/Agp cards & to the Hd's with possible Fat corruption! so the best way to go is to rise the Fsb to 100Mhz, with the Pci freq. that must be switched on 1/3 of the Fsb.
Generally at this freq. the Cpu needs of more voltage, but we know that you cannot rise the Vcore, so you must be really lucky, but if doesn't work there's a way to rise the voltage with the vid pinning mod.

Last edited:
allready put that into consideration. (im on a very frustrating mobo) i dont even see a way to slow down the PCI bus. (nor change the voltage) im thinking i might be better off getting a new mobo, but if i do that, i gotta ditch the SB live platinum 5.1 (tough choice :)) also if i do that, i might as well get a faster CPU with the current prices :) (also, the manual that came with the mobo says "about" changing the voltage and PCI bus, but it doesnt say HOW.

Check if your AGP card is seated perfectly, and try another PSU if possible. Those two are always under suspicion when a PC doesn't start up at all.

Finally I've downloaded the User manual of your Mobo, not so bad :)
I think that with a good slotket and/or the Vid Pinning mod, you'll be able to OC your chip @1066Mhz. What kind of slotket are you using now?

well, the slotket is the worst part of the whole computer :) i can't even find a brand name on it. all i see is "CPU card ver 1.0" the only settings on it that i can mess with are "Single/dual CPU", "Intel/Cyrix CPU", "CPU speed 66/100/133" and if i set it to 100, i get nothing (which is what leads me to believe i need voltage selection for that much of it..)

Well probably this is the prob,
I think it's better to replace this slotket nobrand with an Asus, Abit or Msi product, and set the Fsb directly on the Mobo, not on the Slotket!

I hope it helps you ;)

if i set the FSB on the mobo, it also overclocks the PCI bus and everything else, and i see no way to reduce the settings of everything else. Also, with the mobo, if it sees the cpu as a CPU that runs @ 66, it only gives me the option of up to 83 FSB to run at. thats why i'm thinking if i get a good slotket and set IT to 100, it will work better, cause the mobo does support up to 133 FSB. (with the slotket set to 100, i should be able to get the higher cpuclock settings, but i dont intend to get the CPU to over 1050 mhz.)

Uhmm...
Do you wanna say that if you set the Fsb to 100Mhz, the divider doesn't switch automatically on 1/3 of the Fsb for a Pci freq. of 33Mhz? it sounds very strange!
Probably the best way to go, at this point, is to test your system with another Slotket, better if of a friend of yours, it's very cheaper ;), and if still doesn't work, replace your Mobo and forget the integrated SB live! I'm sorry, but it's all I can do.

P.S. my mistake about 1066Mhz, 1050 is right ;)

Last edited:
that's exactly what i'm saying :) when i change the setting in bios to make the CPU faster, SiSoft Sandra tells me that my AGP, PCI, and IDE are set too high. So i look for a divider, and i dont find one. that's why i hope that I can set a slotket to do all i need to get it running @ 1050 mhz, cause my mobo obviously isn't going to help me out any :)

and i told ya before......the mobo is a royal pain :D

well, i'll be sure to try a new slotket, and THX MUCH for all the help you have provided :)

You're welcome :)
Anyone Slotket can set automatically the Pci divider on Mobo, so it's better if you search for all the Jumpers and check each one on the user manual.

I onestly I'm a little confused :D

well, i would like to set it on the mobo. (much easier....WOULD be anyways) except for one thing :) in the manual, the manual settings for the multiplier only go up to 5. but my processor needs a multiplier of 10.5 and manually changing the mobo to 100 mhz will not do any good unless i can change the multiplier to it's proper setting (at least thats what it says in the manual) so the only hope i DO have is to find out if there's a way to change the multiplier to that high manually so i can up the mobo to 100, or up it by way of slotket to 100. :) (i know.....it's a BAD situation......somewhat confusing here too :))

Don't worry about the Multiplier only up tp 5x on manual, coz 'generally' the chip multip. is otherwise detected by the Mobo on Auto. Try with a Bios upgrade if available and using a new Slotket where you can set voltages & Fsb, for sure not the Multip. & the Pci/Agp divider! but probably the best way is to replace your Mobo :)

dude, i dont know, i got a celly 70mhz and the most i can do is 10.5 * 75mhz lol. ppl are sayin i need better coolin so ill guess ill give it a shot later

Back