• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i never thought i would see this!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zangler

my friend was messing around with his computer, re-setting the cmos and stuff, and had his hsf off his processor. he hit the on button, and i said nnnnoooooooooo!!!!!! luckily the computer was not plugged in. i told him he is lucky, because he would have fried his processor and his mobo. he said "ive done it before, and they (t-bird 1gig) don't get that hot that fast" i told him i have a video he should watch (thanks tom's hardware). he said "ill watch it later" i said, "say goodbye to your computer" he said "don't worry" THEN he plugged in his computer and turned it on for about 10seconds!!!!!!!!!! i should have tackled him before he did it, but i warned him. i saw the smoke come from the processor, and that was that. he said it was just the thermal paste burning off. i told him it was fried, and he still does not believe me! he wants to work with it he said. i told him to watch the video on how fast it will go, and he said later, i want to get my computer working first. i said good night, and i could not believe what i just saw. kind of sad actually, but then i always wanted to see it in person. good thing processors and motherboards are cheap, kind of.

i hate people like that........
i watched a k6-2 do that........
im sure it isnt the same but the majik smoke is majik smoke no matter where it came from.....

k6-2 is different then a t-bird....one is $20 the other is $80. plus im sure his mobo is gone. people make their own decisions.

Hahahahahahahahaha!!

Oh man, that boy doesn't read about CPU's on the internet does

"and he said later, i want to get my computer working first."

This is my fav part.. after it's fried.. LOL!!

Thank You for posting that :)

Well, you can lead a horse to water, but you just cannot make him play bridge..... :p

I highly doubt he'll do that one again, though.

sometimes i dont understand people
whatever you say or do they wont believe you
its always the same ... and when they mess it all up, they say: how could this happen.
pff its their system = their problem (although when they mess the entire thing up they ask you if you can fix it :mad: )

Mr B said:
Well, you can lead a horse to water, but you just cannot make him play bridge..... :p

I highly doubt he'll do that one again, though.

But you can lead a horse to water, and drown him.

I love people that won't listen. Heat sinks are on there for a reason.

tbirdkiri said:
i watched a k6-2 do that........
I tried to do that with my k6-2, but it still works!! Even after raising the voltage to 3.5, and letting it sit for over a minute, it survived! It was hot, too. I licked my finger and touched the core (i removed the cover earlier), and the spit on my finger started to sizzle. The sucker still works (333MHz OCed to 500). Now that I think about it, before my extreme burn in, it wouldn't even go past 400.

the reason i feel kind of bad for the guy is because he bought the chip when it first came out for like $300. but other than that, it was cool to see...and funny.

Let us know what he says tomorrow or whenever he realizes he should've listened to you.

Right now, you should be practicing your "I told you so" speech.

hahahahah
that guy must be insane
y would he want to take off the hsf and turn on the power anyway ?
trying to *burn in* the cpu for more o/c (1.4ghz @ 0 !! :D )

anyways i did something similar with my tbird 1ghz... i had the waterblock on but it wasn't having good contacts and the pump was off... i smelt something like plastic being burnt... then... no more response...

i lent him a 1.2ghz i had lying around, and his computer works again. i then took my 1.2 back, while it still works.....lol. he said he is getting another 1.2 tomorrow, and still cant believe that it burned up that fast. this guy is an rcc!!!!!! how can you not know that stuff????? anyway he said "older processors could take it" i said this is not an "older processor". i guess he feels kind of dumb. it was still really cool!

Hehe. Sad to say this. But when I got my first Athlon 1200mhz I fried it. It was the god damn thermal pad that didn't cover the core. It booted up as I wanted to. Then should reset the computer it died. ;)

Well, I dont think the reset did it. It was a BAD thermal pad. Oh well, we know nothing about amd processors and heatsinks. (I do know ALOT now, thanks to oc.com :) )

We removed the hsf to try to make it work that way. then there was smoke from the thermal compound. And the processor was gone.

I've never done that again. It's silly. Then me and my friend saw the toms hardware movie, and laughed our asses of!
:D

(I should just say that I got a new processor (warranty, THAT's support :D I fried my processor and got a new one) and some as2 from that company 2 weeks later).

So thats my story, about my first amd :p

Back