• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What drivers should I use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dicko555

I just bought (at last just waiting for delivery) a new hd4870 and was wondering what drivers i should use. People seem to be having trouble with various versions. I am new to ATI so I am a bit unsure about this.
There also seem to be various variations to each version and lots of different file sizes, what should I download, could someone please give me a link to the best driver.
Also I should remove all NVidea drivers thru add/remove programs prior to installing new ATI drivers is that enough.

Seems to me, from reading a bunch of driver threads... different strokes for different folks. Try each one, bench it, see how your system likes them, then go with whatever is best.

Brand new ones are fine for me, so you might just wanna start with those, and if you have issues, then try others.

I just installed one a few days ago and I do recommend removing Nvidia drivers before installing ATI. I also removed adapter in Device Manger just before rebooting. Use the CD disk that comes with the HD4870. I didn't and installed 8.7 then that was ok installed 8.8 and it had too many quirks. I went back to 8.7 but some odd things now and then. So I loaded from CD and that version was most stable.

Just need a quick question answered. Will the Sapphire HD4870 512M GDDR5 work with my monitor as it is only a d-sub or have i stuffed up.

Back