• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Build me a computer :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chado

Registered
Its actually for a buddy but I dont have much time to look around and you guys know your ****. Anyways.. hes looking to spend around $400 - 500 CANADIAN so like, one dollar US. or maybe about 320 US... he needs a motherboard, cpu and video card (i know, tight budget).. and ram too but tigerdirect has 512mb ram at $77 CAN which is good enough for him and is a steal. So any ideas?

Can't go wrong with a mobile XP 2600+ (about $100 US) and an nForce2 board (look around on newegg and find one you like, they also have great deals on refurbs if you're willing to risk it). Depending on how much is left over from that, choose your video card. At the very least I would recommend a GeForce MX4000, and the top end of this price range looks like a Radeon 9600 Pro.

Very tight budget but I recommend you prioritize in cost in this order:

CPU
Video Card
Memory
Motherboard

Ofcourse with some cheap mobo's your going to have a hard time overclocking.

If your going to overclock (sorry Wildmonkey) I think this is much the priority order:

Motherboard
Memory
Video card (depends...gaming or not)
CPU

Their customer service is not great at all. Sometimes, wrong things even get shipped, and stuff. Newegg and Zipzoomfly are the way to go. But dont lose over the TigerDirect thing, its alright, and I hope your memory comes safely :)

Yes I hope too....supposed to get it tomorow...*crossing fingers* *touch wood* etc...

BTW the problem with neweggs and ZZF is that they doesnt ship to Canada! (also the duties fee is very high)

Hey Canadians,
http://www.bytewizecomputers.com based in Kingston Ontario, I am building a new rig soon, and have been pricing, they have pretty much the best prices in Canada with a good selection

I plan to argue them down for any item I find cheaper someplace else

www.yesplay.com is another good site, used them quite a bit until I found Bytewise, the Barrie Ontario location is staffed by very nice people

Im not quite picking up why anyone would purchase a mobile xp and an nforce2 board right now. For about the same money you can get an Athlon64 3000+NC and an Nforce3 board. Also, regardless of overclocking or not, a video card is not a high priority unless you are building your system for GAMING. The video card will not bottleneck the processor.

In any event, when building a system, the priority list should be:

1. Motherboard - because you can always upgrade to a better CPU to fit in the current socket

2. CPU - Gaming, editting, etc? Regardless, the CPU is basis of a system.

3. Memory - lets all remember that memory is easily upgradable, but can create bottlenecks.

4. Video Card - being that not all computers are built for gaming, a video card is more less of a nice addition rather than a top Priority. As you can tell, im not much of a gamer, i play BHD all the time, but thats really about it. Although, i have played just about every game on my PC. My graphics may not be as good as yours, but i still kill the bad guy the same way....

maybe in the Us 64s are cheep , they are more here , plus his buget is 500 cnd , My vid card the x800pro cost more , So u can see the prices arent nice and low like you guys get

For 500$ CANADIAN he should be able to get a 2800+NC, a Chaintech nforce3 board, a 512MB stick of DDR400 (generic) and a GeForce5700 256 or so

According to canadacomputers.com.....you can get:

athlon 64 2800+ NC - 156$
Soltek nForce3 250gb - 115$ (or DFI Lanparty UT for 132$)
9600XT 256mb - 200$

475$ ....

Or drop down to get a lower vid card and a DDR400 512MB

Back