• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win Reinstall???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orion25

Folding in memory of my dads, Tim B. & Mike B.
I have a computer with Win 98 installed on it. I tried booting from the Win 98 (full OEM) CD to reinstall but it only replaced the OS. I want to totally wipe out the hard drive and start over. How do I do this?

Ryan

You need to format the HDD first. This is easy to do and you already have all the tools you need. Boot to the Win98 CD. It will bring you to a menu:

1. Start Windows 98 Setup from CD-ROM
2. Sart Computer with CD-ROM support
3. Sart Computer without CD-ROM support

Choose option #2

The computer will then load the CD-ROM drivers and dump yuo at an A:\ promt.

Here is where you play with DOS

at the A:\ prompt type D: this should bring you to the CD drive(use which ever letter is appropriate

then once at the D:\ prompt type CD\Win98 this should bring you to the Win98 directory on the CD

then type Format C: this will run the format utility on your C: drive, once again you the appropriate letters.

then when format is complete, restart, boot to the CD, choose option 1, and Windows will install to a clean HDD

Thanks for the help! It is doing its thing now.

One more question, how do I create multiple partitions? I would like to make this a dual boot machine with Win98 and Linux. It has a 20g HDD. I would like to have 10gb for Win 98 and 10gb for Linux.

This is a backup rig so I can corrupt the HDD without worry. Please help.

Damn this Format is SSSSLLLLLOOOOWWWWWW........

Install Windows first, then use a 3rd party utility like Partition Magic to create the Partitions(you won't need 10GB for Linux, you could probably get away with half that). Then boot to the linux CD(which distro?)and it's menu driven, it will see the partitions and install to the space allocated, it will also load a boot loader(Grub or LILO)which will create a menu when you 1st start your machine(offering the 2 OS's).

Back