• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is it worth it to upgrade to the am2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PoKiEpAn

Registered
im debating between the amd 5200+ (or maybe the 4600+ depending on money), but i was wondering how big is the difference between these and the C2D... is it even worth it to upgrade right now? any thoughts would be greatly appreciated :D

Both platforms are as a cross roads now.
AM2 faces HT3 on AM3 boards. You will be able to socket K8L into today's AM2 boards. What will be lacking is the high bandwidth that I doubt many people will exploit considering few of todays systems are really exploiting HTs bandwidth. Only with dual N8800 cards does it come close.

C2D faces a FSB update that will knock out most of todays boards. Some of the high end boards already run high FSB.

I'm staying with AMD on this one, I just like not having to deal with FSB. Get some decent DDR2-800 that has proven to run 900 and your are ready to go. 65nm chips are just getting out and may be better at ocing than the current chips with lower temps.

yeah, im leaning towards the C2D (dont hate, i AM an AMD fanboy.. i love my configuration, but i do want the fastest). however, i need a system that will last. and that's why i've come here. if i can upgrade to an AM2 setup, with a lower end CPU and when the K8L's come out, be able to beat out the current C2D, then i think i'd be satisfied. but if that's not going to happen, then i need to take the alternative. i'd like to stay AMD if possible. so, what's the decision? does AMD's AM2 hold some value for the next year or so, or will C2D have to do for now?

It depends on what you want personally. For example I've decided to build a new PC and will be ordering the parts tomorrow. It'll be AM2 with a X2 3800+, I actually wanted a X2 3600+ but can't find them here nor any other 65nm AMD chips. I'll hold out with that setup for about a year or so until I can get a dual core Kuma for a decent price to plop into the existing AM2 socket.

I've decided to do this even though I know C2Ds are faster and perform better at this time but I decided against them. How satisfied I'll be with my actions in the future I don't know since K8L is still a huge mystery. So I can only wait and hope:)

PoKiEpAn said:
yeah, im leaning towards the C2D (dont hate, i AM an AMD fanboy.. i love my configuration, but i do want the fastest). however, i need a system that will last. and that's why i've come here. if i can upgrade to an AM2 setup, with a lower end CPU and when the K8L's come out, be able to beat out the current C2D, then i think i'd be satisfied. but if that's not going to happen, then i need to take the alternative. i'd like to stay AMD if possible. so, what's the decision? does AMD's AM2 hold some value for the next year or so, or will C2D have to do for now?

If you are looking for the setup that will be more futureproof, I think that the C2D/C2Q setup is the way to go myself. Like AC already said, with AM2 boards you might be able to run a K8L chip in them later, but will run crippled compared to a board that has the latest HT technology and will be bandwidth crippled. Plus, AMD might just look to go with their performance solutions with the LGA1207 socket like the new server boards and 4X4 have and leave AM2 to be the economy choice. As far as concerns with future fsb speed increases with Intel are concerned, that is a minimal problem, IMO. They will only be increasing the fsb to 333 from 266 and the p965 chipset has shown itself to be capable of 500+ fsb operation in several present first gen boards based on the chipset. So I think that a p965 or i680 based board should be good for a couple of years at least. And unlike AMD, Intel seems to be fairly happy with LGA775 at least until they deploy processors utilizing CSI in the future.

But with the present system that is in your sig, you will not see a quantum leap in performance with either, unless you are into benching a lot. You might just look at buying you a socket 939 dual core processr and living with the system for another year or so. With a DC socket 939 proc along with a vid car upgrade you would have a still very potent gaming machine.

BTW, I am not a fanboy of any side but my side, which is the best bang for the bucks I spend. Neither company has done me any favors in the past that would make me favor one over the other except that having both around with compteitive products keeps my costs in check. :D

Last edited:
Honestly, I agree with maybe just a dual-core upgrade and get a new video card eventually. I was going to build a new rig soon, but I'm primarily a gamer and couldn't care less about benchmarks, only real-world perceptible performance. With that in mind, the lure of shiny new boxes gave way to reason, and there's really no point in completely changing out my 939 system yet.

I agree wit hthe hold off..

Dual core and Vid card upgrade are all that are necessary for your system. I am not even clocking mine anymore. Although I would suggest a 3800/4200 and clocking it up to at least 2.6GHz just so it feels as good as your 4000. :)

thx, i think im going to go along with this setup (keep in mind im only paying $650 of it, friend is buying my set up for $750 so :DDD):

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813130057 - MSI K9A Platinum Socket AM2 ATI CrossFire Radeon Xpress 3200 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16814195024 - ATI 100-435843 Radeon X1950XTX 512MB GDDR4 PCI Express x16 VIVO Video Card - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16817153035 - Thermaltake toughpower W0105RU ATX12V / EPS12V 700W Power Supply - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16819103749 - AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+(65W) Windsor 2.4GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model ADO4600CUBOX - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820227169 - OCZ ATI CrossFire 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2A8002GK - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16822148144 - 2 of the Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Perpendicular Recording) ST3250620AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16827152076 - NEC 18X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write Black E-IDE / ATAPI Model 7170A-0B - OEM

total cost: $1459.22 - $750 = $700 - $35 (rebate on memory) = $665 out of my own pocket. i think that's fair, yeah?

if anyone has any additions/changes, post them. i want this upgrade to at least be something solid and that im happy with. i got ripped off on my last one, buying 1 week before price drops and the new AM2.. yeah, my luck.

I would say again

dont sell

Take that 650 you are going to spend anyway, and get a video card and dual core CPU. (opteron 160 or x2 3800/4200 is under 200 leaving your 450 dollars for a video card)

Tell your friend you will build him a system for 750

You can use you CPU and vid card as the basis ;)

Last edited:
1. You would be better served with an E6400 imho, but since you stated preference to AMD, I won't push the issue.

2. For a system that you want to last a while, imho you would be better served getting an SLI mobo with an 8800GTS and then getting a second one later when the price drops. It is a faster card than the X1950XTX generally and has DX10 support for future Vista gaming endeavours.

3. You can probably get a better power supply for the price, the Case and Power Supply Forums have some great info on this.

alright, sounds good. you all gave me a good view on the subject. in 2 weeks i'll buy the system. in a couple months i'll find out if it paid off or not :D lol. thanks again guys :D

Back