• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dead again

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tWiSt3D

Im having the worst luck with this new amd build.I was overclocking tonight all was good.Ran prime for about 10 mins highest temp was 44c all of a sudden pc goes dead.Now it wont turn back on.All parts in this PC are new now.New power supply was put in last Saturday.Any thoughts would be great.I think when I get this thing going again Im selling it and going back to Intel:bang head

What have you tried? Take all but one memory stick out and reset cmos. Make sure the power supply switch is off before you reset the cmos. Take everything unnecessary out of the rig. Are you sure the PSU isn't dead? Brand new PSUs can die you know. When you push the case panel power button do any lights come on or do fans spin?

Last edited:
I cleared cmos it doesnt have a jumper on the board I took the batt out for a couple mins.Didnt try ram.The fan lights flicker for a sec and thats it.

Last edited:
So, disconnect the main and the auxilliary 12v connectors to the motherboard. Take a paper clip and short between any green and any black wire on the main 24 pin PSU power connector. Case fans should spin continuously now. If they don't, I'd suspect a bad PSU. It sounds like as soon as the PSU capacitors are bled off they aren't being recharged.

Ok I did that and it came on.Now what lol hey thanks for all your help Im getting stressed out here lol.What going on now any Ideas?

Ok just seen that the cpu fan that plugs into the MB isnt working.I tried another fan and nothing.Hmm could my NB be shot now?I have 2 fans on the cooler on the hyper 212 just seen the main one isnt working so to me something isnt working right on the board.

try swapping out components if you have another system to test out with. Look over your motherboard and look for blown capacitors and blown chips. Smell for burnt electronics. That may help you find out what is going on.

Yeah, sounds suspicious for the board. On the other hand, if your CPU cooler fans aren't turning then the board may be set up to power off to protect the cpu. Check the bios to see if there is a setting you can disable so that it will power up without the cpu cooling fan working. Put another fan connected to a molex if necessary to cool the CPU and see if it powers up. That was a pretty stupid piece of advice since you can't get into bios to begin with.

Last edited:
I cant get into bios with it.It only comes on with he paper clip in it.When Iplug everything back up to the board it just flashed all my lights for a sec and thats it.

Definitely sounds like a bad motherboard component, probably a bad capacitor. I would RMA it. Can you put the psu in another computer just to test it under load before you RMA the board?

PSU worked in another system.Well someone point me to a decent board I need one ASAP
If you're overclocking I would suggest one with MOSFET heatsinks next time.

Edit
After looking at your other threads it's quite possible the old PSU took part of the motherboard with it when it went out. Can't really blame Gigabyte or AMD for whatever else might have been damaged when a 4 year old PSU burned out.

I'd still stick with heatsinks on the MOSFETs, though ...

Last edited:
If you're overclocking I would suggest one with MOSFET heatsinks next time.

Edit
After looking at your other threads it's quite possible the old PSU took part of the motherboard with it when it went out. Can't really blame Gigabyte or AMD for whatever else might have been damaged when a 4 year old PSU burned out.

I'd still stick with heatsinks on the MOSFETs, though ...
Yeah I got to thinking about that today that old PSU is probably the cause to this.Like I said in another thread cash is tight so I went with this http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...mc=Email-_-WebletMain-_-WEBLET03ORDER-_-Deals

I think Im done overclocking for now. I went with another gigabyte I liked that other one even know it wasnt anything fancey,not that this one is but was in my price range at this time.

Anyone who builds systems very often will get a bad part now and then, whether it be AMD or Intel. But I have concers you may repeat your experience until you get another PSU. A lot of people skimp on the foundational things like a good, well-ventilated case, a quality PSU and an efficient CPU cooler and then get frustrated when they try to overclock, blaming it on the CPU or the motherboard.

Anyone who builds systems very often will get a bad part now and then, whether it be AMD or Intel. But I have concers you may repeat your experience until you get another PSU. A lot of people skimp on the foundational things like a good, well-ventilated case, a quality PSU and an efficient CPU cooler and then get frustrated when they try to overclock, blaming it on the CPU or the motherboard.

I just got this PSU last Saturday surely its ok. I have a HAF Cooler Master case it has great air flow when i was overclocking the cpu I had it at 4.0 ran prime for about 10 mins highest temp was at 44c then bam lights went out.Like i said Im done overclocking I had fun with my Q6600 last year thought Id give it a try on the 1100T.Ill just be glad to get it up and going again.Id probably never get rid of what I have even known its down now.When it was going it screamed through all the games that I play maxed out like a dream.I shouldnt of blamed it on AMD lol just caught up in the moment ;)

Sorry about the cheap hardware comments. I got confused with another guy posting on t he forum recently who blew his board who may have blown his board while overclocking with a cheap four-year-old PSU. I hope you won't allow this experience to keep you from trying overclocking again. Let your nerves settle down first.

Last edited:
Sorry about the cheap hardware comments. I got confused with another guy posting on t he forum recently who blew his board while overclocking with a cheap four-year-old PSU. I hope you won't allow this experience to keep you from trying overclocking again. Let your nerves settle down first.

No problem I didnt take it in any bad way :) Im sitting here looking over that mother board trying to find anything burnt looking no luck at all.I m making things worse I guess wondering and hoping the CPU is ok now lol should be it didnt get hot on me.I always run core temp all the time even in my old Q6600 build.I like watching the temps overclocked or not.

Back