• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New budget system for a friend

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Archer36

Hey all, my friend had his side pannel open for more air in the system, well he happened to have iced tea by his computer, and he spilled it all over his computer. He is not sure if it hit the motherboard but is sure the video card was hit hard. Having had water leak on my video card from my WC system told him to do the whole soak it in 90% or above rubbing alcohol thing. Now Assuming nothing works, since nothing will spin or power on the computer, he needs a new computer. I will probably test the CPU/Mobo later this week.

I think we are going to go with a A64 system, most likely a skt939 to keep it open for upgrades. ATM he is very tight on cash, he does not overclock (need to kick some sense into him) and he loves gaming. He plays HL2, CoD, BF, and probably BF2. So im looking for opions on what hardware is best suited for him.

I was thinking a A64 3200+, a 6600GT PCI-E video card, and the DFI Lanparty. However I was wondering if the DFI is necessary since he will not be doing any overclocking, and was wondering if there is somthing cheaper, but stable for gaming and light graphics use?

Thanks

I'd go with a 3000+, and put the extra little bit into a 6800 instead. Or the X800 from ATI.

DFI is not necessary. If you want a decent priced mobo, go for the Chaintech VNF4.

Know Nuttin said:
I'd go with a 3000+, and put the extra little bit into a 6800 instead. Or the X800 from ATI.

DFI is not necessary. If you want a decent priced mobo, go for the Chaintech VNF4.

Ditto. MSI has a nice budget board out too that is worth checking out.

If you might talk him into overclocking in the near future, then you should still get the DFI. Otherwise, the Chaintech is a good solution.

Know Nuttin said:

So the difference between the 3000+ and the 3200+ will not be seen in gaming? Yea I knew there weas a chaintech out there but could not find what one.

Also what should be the minimum wattage he should have for the PSU?

Back