• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"CPU Temperature Error, Press F1 to continue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DrUnKiN_UnHoLy

Registered
Hello everyone I hope somebody can help,

Specs are
E8400 @ 3.06GHz | 2x HD3870 in CrossfireX | ASUS P5E Motherboard | 4GB PC8500 OCZ RAM | Logitech G3 | MercStealth k/b | ThermalTake Armor+ Super Tower |<br /> Antec 1000W P/S | Samsung 24\"

Last night My daughter was on the PC and she got a black screen and the message in the title on a Mobo screen when I pushed F1 to continue windows tried to boot but froze/flashed and got the same message. After that I did access the bios and my cpu temp was 100c/250f so I shut it all down for a couple of hours. When I rebooted I didnt recieve the message anymore but it ask me for the "windows didnt shut down properly safe mode stuff" and I start normally and it cycles to the XP screen flashes and goes back to the safe mode screen.

Bottom line is I cant get XP pro to boot and I have no messages as to why.

Thanks in advance.

My first question would be why was your CPU running at 100c if it actually was? Is your PC caked in dust is the cpu fan spinning and all that?

Yes the fan is spinning and others, I clean my pc regularly. I have no idea why it reached the temp it did. After I turned it off for awhile it read 38c but again after trying to get it to run and playing around with it for about ten mins it was up to 88c

Yes the fan is spinning and others, I clean my pc regularly. I have no idea why it reached the temp it did. After I turned it off for awhile it read 38c but again after trying to get it to run and playing around with it for about ten mins it was up to 88c

might be the heatsink not sitting correctly (due to frequent cleaning XD happened to me once) or faulty temp reads(but i think that's impossible).

i hope someone can help with this =)

If the cpu heatsink is clean and the fan is working (and the case fans are working), then the heatsink has been dislodged from the processor and needs to be removed, cleaned, and reinstalled with new thermal glop.

Try taking the heatsink off and carefully putting it back on correctly, making sure it is mounted evenly and making good contact with your processor. The existing thermal paste should be fine.

The first thing is getting that heatsink sorted before even wondering whats wrong with XP. If XP still does not boot when you get your temps fixed it's possible that when your computer suddenly shut down that the HDD data has become corrupt. Once you get CPU heatsink sorted boot from your XP disk and go into recovery console. From their run chkdsk /r and try booting again once the disk has been checked.

Thanks for all the replies everyone,

I will have to now wait until the weekend to tare into it **** came up and I wont have time. I will post what/how I got it fixed when that happens.

Thanks

Ok guys,

I cleaned the PC it looks freakin brand new. Checked all the cables and cleaned the heat sink and applied new paste. Temp is stable and doesnt rise to the 100c stays around 35-40.

I still cant get it to boot up to windows. It is just circling from the Asus main screen to the would you like to boot in safe mode and then to the XP loading screen then the screen flashes and I am back to the Asus loading screen.

Fustraited,

Thanks

I tried to boot from the windows disk and I dont no how ,, lol Never had to do that before. I put it in and nothing happened

Press F8 after the Asus logo screen is gone and select disable automatic restart on system failure. That should give you the BSOD on your next boot and some clue as to what is going on.

Well the CPU might of been heating up really bad but atleast I fixed that. Now I pulled the HDD to hook it up to my laptop to copy the file (just incase I lost something with the next steps) and it only read my gaming portion my day to day drive is " I/O Error so I D/L the seagate tools and at first I ran the short generic test and it passed so I moved onto the long generic and selected find errors without repair and it found about 250 errors and then the test failed. I then decided to run it WITH repairs and when I left for work this morning it was at 3887 Errors and a 1/4 on the status bar. So I deff think the CPU started this but with all the circles I kept putting the PC through and the incomplete starts I think I pooched the HDD.

Any thoughts?

Sounds like its time for a fresh install.. or if you have a spare drive, install xp on that and see if you boot up.. good chance with that many errors on a repair log you have done a good bit of damage to your data.. unless its absolutely important data on that disc.. reformatting might be the way to go at this point. Though someone might have a better option, but sounds like the heat and random boots are causing alot of havoc on that partition

Its sounds like its time for a new drive not a reformat.....Is it reporting bad sectors or what are the errors?

Well the CPU might of been heating up really bad but atleast I fixed that. Now I pulled the HDD to hook it up to my laptop to copy the file (just incase I lost something with the next steps) and it only read my gaming portion my day to day drive is " I/O Error so I D/L the seagate tools and at first I ran the short generic test and it passed so I moved onto the long generic and selected find errors without repair and it found about 250 errors and then the test failed. I then decided to run it WITH repairs and when I left for work this morning it was at 3887 Errors and a 1/4 on the status bar. So I deff think the CPU started this but with all the circles I kept putting the PC through and the incomplete starts I think I pooched the HDD.

Any thoughts?

DU,

I agree with Trap05, the drive is FUBAR and they only get worse. Time for a new one.

Have not been able to acsess the log yet because it is still searching/repairing
but when I did the long generic with out selecting repair all it told me they are

BAD LBA Error not repaired 56675633
BAD LBA Error not repaired 58734883
ect....

The #'s above are just examples the rest is exactly what it said

Edit*** Ya Thunder I agree with both of you but I just want to know what went wrong now and see if there is a fix. I will probably pick up the 10krpm and if I get this running just put it in there for storage without reformating because the other partition is fine it reads and I can access it no problem.

Thanks Trap and everyone who has helped. I will continue to let you know how it stands but I think by tonight I should have all my answers

Last edited:
Have not been able to acsess the log yet because it is still searching/repairing
but when I did the long generic with out selecting repair all it told me they are

BAD LBA Error not repaired 56675633
BAD LBA Error not repaired 58734883
ect....

The #'s above are just examples the rest is exactly what it said

Edit*** Ya Thunder I agree with both of you but I just want to know what went wrong now and see if there is a fix. I will probably pick up the 10krpm and if I get this running just put it in there for storage without reformating because the other partition is fine it reads and I can access it no problem.

Thanks Trap and everyone who has helped. I will continue to let you know how it stands but I think by tonight I should have all my answers

DU,

The CPU temp error is not directly associated with your hard drive. In other words an overheated CPU shutdown won't affect temps with your hard drive but failing sectors and random restarts is asking for trouble.

I think you have (had) two coincidental and separate issues that aggravated a failing hard drive with random shutdowns. I wouldn't bother testing your hard drive further and hope your CPU hasn't been damaged.

Your hard drive damage is physical and it can't find enough good sectors to remap itself and if it could, those sectors may become damaged later. Bite the bullet, Trap05's suggestion is excellent.

Depends on why the cpu is overheating.
If it's overheating because all the vents are clogged and the internal ambient in the case is 70*c, the hard drive is going to be none too happy.

Back