• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how loud are pumps? and do they get hot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

port-error

Registered
Hey, just wanted to know how loud pumps are i'm looking at the

Hydor L30 & Ehim 1250

Also, i've seen a couple people attach heatsinks to their pumps? is this needed? do they really get that hot?

From my experience, most pumps do not get very hot. Even the Via Aqua 1300 is only warm to the touch after days of running. Most pumps are quieter than your average power supply fan.

mouting.

do most people just leave their pump sitting at the bottom of their case? i was thinking about takin out my floppy drive, and just throwing it in there. I have a mid-tower so space is sparce. Is it possible to mount the pump or screw it down? I don't really like knowing there are parts in my case that can fall or move around -=).

i have seen pumps mounted by zipties and it works fine. most probably have theirs fastened to the bottom of the case. imo taking out the floppy drive wouldnt be a bad idea at all, if the pump fits there.

pumps can expel something like 20watts of heat and this changes with what pump you have and how hard it is working, and if you are thinking about the heat of the pump you need to understand where the heat is coming from and where it is going.

lately i have heard that maxijets are exceptionally quiet. :)

true.

This is what i'm trying to do with my case. A good help guide for people with mid towers like me was posted @

http://www.tweakmonster.com/articles/wclianlipc65/

is this a good setup? and what is he talking about when he says to seal up the pump? is that needed? and how do you go about doing that? If possible Couldn't you just mount the pump on the bottom of the case instead?

Thanks.

many people prefer having the radiator after the pump so that the coolest water in the loop (immediately after the rad) is hitting their blocks... but really the temp difference inside the water loop is never more than .5C and usually much closer to .2C if you have decent flow. So basically either setup doesnt make much difference. :)

im not sure what he means by seal up the pump. :) maybe he means make sure the hose fittings are secure. there isnt anything else required.

Only prob is when you just mount it to the bottom of the case you get a bit of humming and vibration transferred to the case. If you are going for quiet, put it on a foam pad, that helps a lot. I did that with my 1250.

leaky pump?

never had a leaky pump before -=)...so how could i mount it at the bottom of my case? will it be difficult?

Drill a couple holes and use zipties? That's how I'd do it, quick and dirty... because any kind of bracket you use will connect it to the case again and make the foam useless..

good idea.

zip ties will be my friend...I'm really thinking about puting that pump up in that floppy drive bay. I mean do we really need a floppy drive anymore? -=)

When I had my 1048, it was tucked up under the floppy cage. I mounted it with screws and nuts through oversized holes that contained rubber grommets for vibration isolation, not that it needed much isolation. With the through-case airflow I had, it was about the same as my skin temperature.

I upgraded to the 1250 and things definitely changed. Since I could not fit it in the same place, I sat it in the bottom of my case. It vibrated quite a lot more and the vibration propagated through my entire case until I set it on some silicone rubber padding. I did not retain it with screws because it was heavy enough to be relatively immobile and any time I ran a screw through it to the case, the vibration once again had a propagation path to the case, though to a lesser degree. It gives off a lot more heat compared to the 1048 and I had to increase the throughcase airflow to get its heat out of my case or else the temperature would slowly go up. It was not a big deal, but definitely something to plan for on a yet to be built system. If you put a ferrous based tool near it, you can feel the magnetic field it gives off quite distinctly compared to very little from the 1048. Those observations are the price you pay for the increase in flow rate and head tolerance. With my particular setup, going from the 1048 to the 1250 netted me a whopping 1C improvement in CPU temperature, but then my system is designed to pose a low flow resistance. I can imagine that with the current popular impingement blocks (higher flow resistance) the jump from the 1048 to the 1250 would have a greater positive impact upon performance.

Hoot

wow.

thanks for the post H00t, very interesting. I'd like to see picks of the mounted 1048. I'm really concerned about movement and vibrations of the 1250. I don't need that thing clanging around in my cause with EMF going everywhere. I might go with the 1048 but i'd reallly like to drop that 1C if possible! But it sounds like alot of trouble with that 1250, have you heard anything about the hydor L30? it does more GPH, 23W(less than ehim), and is $20 cheaper?

the rated gph are meaningless... you have to look at flow rate/head graphs to really find out how the pumps will perform. a forum search can yield useful information on that.

true.

true. so how can you stop the 1250 from vibrating so much and dancing in your case? -=)

true.

thanks for the help. and awesome pig! is the 1250 really that big? you think it could chill at the bottom of my case? or in my floppy bay? the link i posted the guy fit a hydor L30 in the floppy bay.

im not sure about actual dimensions on the pump, though you should be able to find those relatively easily... i would let it sit in the bottom of my case, i still occasionally use my flop for .doc's

My Ehiem 1250 comes tomorrow, I'll tell you where I decide to put it, I don't know now though ... hopefully it's not too big.

I'm also putting my watercooling stuff into a PC-65 ... thanks for the link to the article! :)

Re: true.

port-error said:
true. so how can you stop the 1250 from vibrating so much and dancing in your case? -=)

I don't think you can stop the dance, just lessen the steps.
The only way I could ever get my 1250 to be as quiet as I wanted was to set up a remote reservoir made of a 5 gallon pail, and then (this really chapped my behinds) I found that I still had to suspend the thing with silicone straps as the entire bucket would hum if I let the pump set on the bottom, or set on foam in the bottom, or.....you get the idea????
It is large enough and heavy enough along with the vibrations that quieting that beast down is a chore.
wj

i stoped the dance buy cuting up an old mouse pad, and using it between the pump and the bottom of my case, where i did bolt it down pretty tight, but with the two layers of mosue padd foam between the pump and case there is verry little noise/vibrations but it looks sorta getto with part of tazzes head sticking out from under the pump :)

Back