• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I destroyed my mobo and cpu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mojo

Registered
when i was pulling the HSF off sometthing went wrong and the motherboard doesn't work and the cpu i was joining the L1 bridges to unlock the mutiplier and now i lost both of them i tired rubbing off the makrs but still wont work :(

Have you tested the mobo with another cpu to see whether it really is dead? Likewise, could be just the mobo, not the cpu that is dead. If you can, test them both in other machines to decide whether they both are dead. What exactly 'went wrong' as well - if the screwdriver slipped and went straight through the cpu and mobo then they probably are both lost :-D

If either or both are really dead, you have my condolences - what was the cpu and mobo?

i don't know about the mobo but i tried the cpu on antho mobo and it doesn't work.
when i was pulling the HSF i damaged one of the capasitor plus the screw driver sliped a few times on the mobo but i odn't what happened to the cpu i think it might be when i pulled the sticker on the L1 bridges i couldn't pull it off so i used a screw driver to ripped it off i don't know how the cpu got damaged

Do you mean one of the big capacitors? If so, it may be possible to fix it by replacing the capacitor with a new one, if you know the value of the capacitor. If you don't trust your own soldering skills maybe you know someone who could do it.

I can see how the screwdriver on the cpu could kill it, but only really if you hit the core or left gouges in the ceramic (which would be hard). Can you try another cpu in the mobo though just in case the mobo is ok?

I took it back where i bought it from and they are gonna try to fix but i have to pay becase physical damage to mobo.

and i didn't touch the core of the cpu i only ripped the sticker off the L1 bridges. Do u think when i hit one the capcitor the voltage is messed up so the cpu is cooked or cause of the pencil???

I've only heard of a couple of people actually killing their cpu as a result of fiddling with the L1 bridges, but I guess it is possible. The only suggestion I can make is to keep trying to clean the bridges in case there's still some pencil lead / sticky stuff there. Try nail varnish remover (cos it contains acetone, great smelling stuff :D ) and/or a pencil eraser, then drying the bridges carefully with tissue paper. No visible burn marks on the cpu I assume - and no signs of life at all?

Well after i get it back from the shop ill try it but thx anyway

Well , looks like you have a NPU killed in action ( :) )
I feel sorry for it, I had the same situation.

Back