• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Online CPU Speed Test

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ben9997

If you want to check the speed of your CPU, you can go to WhoHasTheFastestComputer.com and run a speed test without installing any software.

It will create a badge like this one (mine - it's definitely NOT the fastest computer):

You can compare your computer's speed against other people around the globe, including your Facebook friends.

Would be interesting to see how various models of CPU compare if you want to post your badge here.

Cheers,
Ben

Good question UM...

Also, you have to be associated/log in to Facebook to use this (i see its temporary but I cant log in to FB at the office)?

Are we sure this person isnt a spammer with applicable content?

Good question UM...

Also, you have to be associated/log in to Facebook to use this (i see its temporary but I cant log in to FB at the office)?

Are we sure this person isnt a spammer with applicable content?

lol.. I removed my post as I wanted to check something

my original post stated : (just so you don't look crazy... lol )

I would also be interested to know what they measure exactly as its non specific and browser based completely, it must be effected by latency

the website when you really look into it states it does this :

The math problems that your computer solves are technically called "floating point operations." The term "floating point" refers to the decimal point in numbers like "3.14159." So an example floating point operation would be "3.14159 + 1.61803." It's fairly common for the CPU(s) in personal computers today to be able to execute several billion floating point operations each second (gigaflops). Note that the number of operations your computer can execute per second is not the same as your computer's clock speed (typically measured in gigahertz). Because different computer chip manufacturers design each model of CPU differently, some can execute significantly more or fewer instructions per second than other CPU models even when the clock speeds are the same. Furthermore, computers with multiple CPUs will be able to perform more calculations than single-core PCs of the same clock frequency. Who Has The Fastest Computer? tests actual computer speed and works for PCs with all sorts of CPU types and quantities.

Floating point capability's are not the only thing which effects performance as such I feel that its misleading to suggest this finds out who has the fastest computer.

Last edited:
Good find. I thought this was spam so I didnt look any deeper than the front page...LOL.

But yeah, that shows only a piece of the CPU pie.. Good catch!

I would also be interested to know what they measure exactly as its non specific and browser based completely, it must be effected by latency

Floating point capability's are not the only thing which effects performance as such I feel that its misleading to suggest this finds out who has the fastest computer.

Hi. The original post wasn't meant as spam. I'm just a guy who wrote a program that I thought some folks in a CPU Speed Test forum might find interesting :) Self aggrandizement, perhaps, I won't lie.

Anyway, the application uses a feature of Flash 10 that allows it to run compiled kernels so it's not impacted by OS or the browser. Indeed, it does not test GPU or RAM or hard drive or anything like that. As mentioned on the page, it looks purely at CPU. Hopefully the next version of Flash will allow direct access to GPU, but for now, just CPU including multicore. The test is not impacted by web latency or anything like that. It runs a string of floating point multiplications without loops or branching and then divides number of operations by time to calculate gigaflops.

It's mainly meant for fun, of course, but I think the result is valid, and it's kind of nice I think to check CPU speed without installing any other software.

Anyway, thanks for checking it out.

Kind regards,
Ben

8b8954ba0d.png

I lol'd

That's pretty cool.

Imagine how much power you could get if you got even 1% of facebook doing distributed computing projects :D

Sorry, he wasnt a spammer, he is just phishing for beta testers...:D

I will give it a run when I get home and can jump on to FB. Why do you have to log in to FB to do this?

Not accusing the OP of anything wrong, but did everyone who ran this give their machines a good AV scan afterwards?

Wow this is weird. Apparently my computer speed is 3.36gf, which is well below average. But I thought that with my specs (Asus U30JC, Intel core i7 M620 @ 2,67Ghz, RAM : 4 GB, Nvidia Geforce 310m (512MB) running on Windows 7 64 bits) I would get a much better result, don't you guys think so?
Is there something wrong? I just bought this notebook and suspect the shop where I bought it replaced some original components by old ones.

So if you guys could give me your feedback, this would really really help me, please!!!! Because if there's something fishy, I can dig out more to see where I have been cheated and complain to the shop).

Thank you so much in advance!

Cheers

Charlotte

Back