• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Velocity Titanium Water Pumps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Remember, AMP X VOLTS = WATTS

1.26 AMP X house current 117 VOLTS =147.42 WATTS

147.42 WATTS of energy added to the water.

This would not be a good buy.

What's a better pump than Ehiem if money wasn't a issue? I'm looking for something with decent GPH and head since my water cooling solution is going to be in an external case..

And you can choose the 'MD' iteration of the the Iwaki pumps if you have the money to burn. They're slightly smaller and emit slightly less heat.

Actually the Iwaki MD20-RLZT available here is the best in the MD20 series for water cooling.

It is optimized for pressure rather than flowrate.

MD_WMD_CURVES.jpg

I like the looks of the 30RZT or even the 70RZ. Wonder how much heat those would add to the water. Be nice with impingement.

SysCrusher said:
I like the looks of the 30RZT or even the 70RZ. Wonder how much heat those would add to the water. Be nice with impingement.

Keep in mind that the 70RZ is capable of providing 28PSI. That's about the pressure in a car's tire.

You can definitely have too much pump for the job.

MD = Made in Japan... Smaller, less heat, quieter, more expensive.
WMD = Made in USA... Probably a Little more powerful depending on usage, cheaper

Since87 said:

Keep in mind that the 70RZ is capable of providing 28PSI. That's about the pressure in a car's tire.

You can definitely have too much pump for the job.

As long as it doesn't put to much heat into the water trying to overcome the back pressure. I'v ran about 50 PSI through my block and the benefits of cooling were way past my expectations.

If it's a diesel water pump out back or I can't fit it in my case then it's to much. ;)

SysCrusher said:

I have an MD 20RZT, quite happy with it, it get's pretty warm, so presumably not a lot of it's running heat gets's into the water (or it would run cooler) the 30rzt should be more than adequate for impingment, billA has a 70rzt, he says it's too "stout" even for his testing needs.

I was looking at the 15rt's but the .82amps kinda scared me off. Do you guys think that would add too much heat to the water?

peace.
unloaded

UnLoadeD said:
I was looking at the 15rt's but the .82amps kinda scared me off. Do you guys think that would add too much heat to the water?

peace.
unloaded

90w? that sounds a bit high for a 15rt, that the wmd version? my MD20-RZ is only 57w at 60hz, anyway the pump case will get pretty warm,so it will add a bit of heat to the case, but it won't add buggerall heat to the water.

actually i just received a md30rzt, thats pretty much the best one for water cooling.; anything more would be overkill. the md20rz is pretty good too. the reason i got it is because i have cathar's WW block.

DodgeViper said:
Remember, AMP X VOLTS = WATTS

1.26 AMP X house current 117 VOLTS =147.42 WATTS

147.42 WATTS of energy added to the water.

This would not be a good buy.

Didn't really pay attention to this the first time I saw it.

Amps X Volts = Watts is only guaranteed to be true for DC systems.

For AC systems where the voltage and current are sine waves the equation is:

Amps X Volts X Cosine(phase angle) = Watts

The current through a pump is usually substantially phase shifted with respect to the voltage, which means that the power consumption will be substantially less than the Amps X Volts.

Also, centrifugal pumps draw less power when their output is restricted than when it is wide open. It's very hard to say how much power this pump would consume in a watercooling setup.

UnLoadeD said:

It's seems odd to me that the MD15 draws .82 Amps when the MD20's only draw 0.5 Amps. I'm not sure what to make of that. I think nikhsub1 said somewhere that the power consumption of the MD15 was only a few Watts higher than an Eheim 1250. I haven't seen the power consumption spec'd though.

My MD20RT (220 Volt version) is spec'd to have a maximum current draw of 0.28 Amps and a max power consumption of 57 Watts. It has a big capacitor inside that probably reduces the phase angle of the current though. I'd guess the MD15 just doesn't have a phase correction cap. (This is not a big deal IMO.)

I did some testing on a Danner Mag5. (Spec'd for 45 Watts power consumption) At 122.6V it drew 0.8 Amps with a power consumption of 35 Watts with a 'low' flow restriction. It drew 0.76 amps with a power consumption of 24.6 Watts with a 'high' restriction.

If you can't find a power consumption spec for the MD15, just ask nikhsub1, but I don't think it's something to be too concerned about though.

Since87 said:

For AC systems where the voltage and current are sine waves the equation is:

Amps X Volts X Cosine(phase angle) = Watts

The current through a pump is usually substantially phase shifted with respect to the voltage, which means that the power consumption will be substantially less than the Amps X Volts.

You are correct, but I was giving a simple solution for those that do not have the technical knowledge to compute the math. In a purely resistive circuit, or in a DC circuit, this is accurate, but when we are discussing power in AC load that is not completely resistive (i.e. has reactive components), we measure power in Volt-Amps, or VA, the actual wattage of a reactive circuit will be slightly less than the volt-amp measurement. A DC circuit, or a purely resistive circuit, has zero degrees of phase shift between the applied voltage and the resultant current, but in an AC circuit with inductive or capacitive reactance, there will be some degree of phase shift introduced by these elements, and this phase shift will influence the actual power available in the circuit.

UnLoadeD said:

peace.
unloaded
I have the MD-15R, great pump and it only consumes 31W, only 3 more than the 1250...

close.jpg

Back