• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LOL Silly idea

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Doc_T

Registered
well i tried it and it works haha, I laid a tray full of ice cubes in the bottom of my case and stood 2 80m fans on top of it blowing the coolness from the ice right at my AMd 1800+ and my North bridge
Motherboard monitor is showing 23 degrees Celcius haha i have no other cooling other than stock HSF on the northbridge and XP CPU. Now if i can just get those ice cubes to stay frozen hahaaha.Oh i have one more fan in the case its an old 100watt power supply fan i raped out of the power supply to be an exhaust fan:beer:

Oh I put a icepack in my case to see how long it would last, it stayed in there for like 1min then it melted to death lol

sure that would suck to have to keep making ice just to work on your pc

"honey get that next batch of ice ready i am gettin ready to crank up the multipier"

LOL

What if it was mounted at the very edge of the case, so that the hot side was external? That way any fans cooling it would circulate the hot air outside the case instead of just mixing hot and cold inside the case.

Darrenct said:
You could always put the TEC on the CPU itself... Just a thought...

That wouldn't cool the air circulating in the case, just the cpu. And unless you have some thin case thing going on then the hot side would also be in the case so taking heat off the cpu would result in dumping some of it in the case. Having a TEC at case edge to cool the air in the case a few degrees isn't really a bad idea.

well just put another HSF on the other side. the reason why people dont just put the TEC onto the CPU is that they'd have to upgrade their cooling because air cannot handle TEC's on AMD machines.and using cold air is simple and effective.

I know all the implications of using a pelt, I was just being a PITA.

However, I don't think that using TEC's to cool a case would be anything near cost-effecive. Also, aircooling Athlons is not just a myth. There is a guy who's name eludes me at the moment on this site who has an 80 watt pelt on an XP with fairly good results. An alpha 8045 or a swifty both have enough power to cool up to a 120 watt pelt and possibly more.

2cents.jpg

Darrenct said:
I know all the implications of using a pelt, I was just being a PITA.

However, I don't think that using TEC's to cool a case would be anything near cost-effecive. Also, aircooling Athlons is not just a myth. There is a guy who's name eludes me at the moment on this site who has an 80 watt pelt on an XP with fairly good results. An alpha 8045 or a swifty both have enough power to cool up to a 120 watt pelt and possibly more.

2cents.jpg

this is true. but i was talking about regular t-birds. oh well

If you actually devise an effective way to chill the air, it will work very well. However, getting the air cold enough to make a big difference without condensation problems will cost you $$$

Back