• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE NVIDIA GTX TITAN Video Card Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
As always... excellent review!

What a MONSTER. That said, I think you nailed it in the conclusion... but I will be more blunt (IMO of course). Its a ripoff at that price. Premium or not. This card at 1920x1200 or less is silly, but 2560x1440/1600 I think this thing is a win for those that dont want dual cards when it hits $800. Above that, multi monitor, I would personally rather have 2 680's/7970's than this... if I had to pay for it!

incredible, the single GPU KING has arrived.
in some cases almost as strong as 7970x2
making the price justified.

Great review guys!
But because of the price point, IMO, I would much rather own 2 X 7970's if I had a multi monitor setup or just needed the resolution bump. I just cant justify that price. Just my opinion. It is definitely a powerful single gpu solution, though!

That said, I think you nailed it in the conclusion... Its a ripoff at that price. Premium or not. This card at 1920x1200 or less is silly, but 2560x1440/1600 I think this thing is a win for those that dont want dual cards when it hits $800.

THIS, exactly.

GTX 690 is limited by a quad SLI (2 cards)

the TITAN can 3-way SLI, which basically will blow those records completely out of the water. awesome. :D

I will be more blunt (IMO of course). Its a ripoff at that price. Premium or not.

allow me to give an alternative view.
Yes, if you have $1000 bucks, buying GTX 690, might be better.
but with the Titan, you are also paying for the potential 3-way SLI set up, which the GTX 690 is limited at quad.

for $3000 bucks, you are buying 'unparallel' performance.
and a $3000 bucks investment in GTX 690, will not give you more than quad-sli from the $2000 set up...

so I believe it for the price. :)

o my! I want, but $1000 sheesh. Nvidia can afford to take the **** a little though. Lets be honest amd aint going to be contending with the top spot for a while now.

GTX 690 is limited by a quad SLI (2 cards)

the TITAN can 3-way SLI, which basically will blow those records completely out of the water. awesome. :D

allow me to give an alternative view.
Yes, if you have $1000 bucks, buying GTX 690, might be better.
but with the Titan, you are also paying for the potential 3-way SLI set up, which the GTX 690 is limited at quad.

for $3000 bucks, you are buying 'unparallel' performance.
and a $3000 bucks investment in GTX 690, will not give you more than quad-sli from the $2000 set up...

so I believe it for the price. :)
A couple things...

1. 'Limited' at quad... more is a limit?
2. You cant use 3 690's in the first place in SLI, so you are actually comparing quad SLI at $2k vs Tri SLI at $3k+. I would imagine the Titan would win there, but by 50% more to match the price? No? Than still waaay too expensive.

I see your point, and you are right for the 20 people that would do that. :thup:

Great review Hokie.

I have to agree with EarthDog that the card is a ripoff at the price it currently sits. If it had come in around $750-800 I would actually think about buying one (assuming my wife wouldn't kill me for doing so), but the thought of spending $1000 on a GPU alone that doesn't outperform options that can cost up to $200 less just doesn't have much of a value proposition for me.

Now to see how it does on cold... which I'm sure would require some hard mods, unlike the nice aftermarket solutions like the Lightning/Matrix/Classified

A couple things...

1. 'Limited' at quad... more is a limit?

Limited by card max at quad, can't get a 3rd GTX 690 to do anything extra on top of quad. that's what I mean.

2. You cant use 3 690's in the first place in SLI, so you are actually comparing quad SLI at $2k vs Tri SLI at $3k+. I would imagine the Titan would win there, but by 50% more to match the price? No? Than still waaay too expensive.

I see your point, and you are right for the 20 people that would do that. :thup:

that's what I mean.

and yes, limited market for sure.
especially since a little worse than GTX 690.

I think I will be one of the 20 !! I am drooling already.
I think my next build's name will be ' Titanium ' :)

Limited by card max at quad, can't get a 3rd GTX 690 to do anything extra on top of quad. that's what I mean.

that's what I mean.

and yes, limited market for sure.
especially since a little worse than GTX 690.

I think I will be one of the 20 !! I am drooling already.
I think my next build's name will be ' Titanium ' :)

We've seen your build, you seem insane already, so it dont suprise me you'd go and do this.

I always like SKYMTL's reviews at Hardware Canucks. Regarding 'ripoff', he puts it well:

Rather, the $1000 entry cost puts the GeForce TITAN firmly into the realm of exclusivity and is for people who can afford to pay through the nose for performance. This is an aspirational item like a Ferrari or Lamborghini and isn’t marketed to the people who buy Fords, Chevys and Kias.

...and like I said, it's an $800 card with a $200 'FASTEST GPU IN THE WORLD!' premium tacked on top.

Heh.. car analogies, my fav...! Thing is, those cars are limited and are twice as fast as most production cars, this card gets worked for the most part when you put two 7970's/680's next to it.

It has its market. Its small. Very VERY small. Its 10 kinds of awesome wrapped up in one very expensive package. If I had the money at $800 I would consider it for my setup. At $1k though, LOLNO.

Back