• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC BIOS options

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Test Results

Here are some test results that I have been gathering over the past couple weeks. I get aggravated with my comp so I have to let it be for a while them come back to it. Thanks for the help Jason. I am starting to test your suggestions now. I just wanted to revisit my older suggestions to see if there was an error with those settings.
Code:
All test performed with LinX. Memory set to 4096, total system memory usage was at ~70%, per Core Temp desktop Gadget. All temps stayed below 71C, higher than I want it to be but I am hoping that I can lower the CPU Volt after changing some BIOS options.

Changed FSB Strap to NB to 333
	No change in stability.
Changed CPU Volt from 1.55 to 1.35
	Received BSOD after loading into windows while trying to start CPU-z while startup programs were loading. System Service Exception.
Increased CPU Volt from 1.35 to 1.40
	Loaded back into windows after BSOD with no issues. Loaded programs to begin test and received BSOD. Uncorrectable hardware error.
Increased CPU Volt from 1.40 to 1.45
	No issues on load. Loaded test programs with no issues. BSOD, uncorrectable hardware error, after ~1min of LinX. 
Loaded default BIOS settings.
	Curios about hardware BSOD. Ran LinX with factory settings to test if BSOD would occur. No BSOD.
Changed CPUV from 1.45 to 1.50
	LinX passed three passes. Played some Left For Dead 2. Watching a video on YouTube received BSOD, IRQL Not Less or Equal.
Changed CPU PLL from Auto to 1.60
	BSOD during second pass.
Changed CPU PLL to Auto and changed FSB Termination Voltage from Auto to 1.28.
	Freeze during loading stress testing software.
Changed FSB TermV from 1.28 to 1.30
	Loaded stress testing programs fine. Froze during first pass at 1:54.
Changed FSB TermV from 1.30 to 1.32
	Froze ate 1:37 on first pass.
Changed FSB TermV from 1.32 to Auto. Changed NB Voltage from Auto to 1.34.
	Froze at 21 secs.
Changed NBV from 1.34 to 1.40.
	Went to go get pork chop from the microwave for lunch. BSOD, uncorrectable hardware error.
Changed SB Voltage from Auto to 1.20.
	Error message saying that Windows Desktop Gadgets stoppped working. Froze at 2:18 during first pass.
Changed NB GTL Reference from .680 to .690
	Could not get to windows loading screen.
Changed NB GTL Ref from .690 to .685
	Loaded into Win7. Made it to third pass, BSOD uncorrectable hardware error. Changing this setting had the largest effect on the OC.
Changed PCIE SATA Voltage from Auto to 1.60
	Desktop icons are now scattered around the screen. >.> Froze on the second pass at 5:02.
Changed LLC to Enabled.
	Icons are all magically back to where they were originally. ?<.<? UPS showed up to pick up broken TV that was delivered to me. That is another story though. Freeze and BSOD at 6:25; uncorrectable hardware error.
Changed FSB TermV from Auto to 1.36
	BSOD at 1:29, uncorrectable hardware error.

I am getting a BSOD that flags an "uncorrectable hardware error" though when I run at stock settings everything is fine. Any thoughts on that or the above notes?

Are you still at 490FSB? I still think you're aiming too high for your given hardware. Have you tried anything from 470-480?

Also remember to try lower NB GTL values as well. It's not an applied voltage, but how the signal is read...higher is not always better.

Porkchop...LOL!

Are you still at 490FSB? I still think you're aiming too high for your given hardware. Have you tried anything from 470-480?

Also remember to try lower NB GTL values as well. It's not an applied voltage, but how the signal is read...higher is not always better.

Porkchop...LOL!

/grumble ME want 490 FSBz!!!!

Ok ok, I'll give it a try a little lower. I went up on the NB GTL because at one time I had tried lower and it seemed to be worse. Yea I had read up on the NB GTL at one time. :confused: Still don't know exactly what it does but I guess a slight understanding is fine for me. Aight, so when I mess with it again I will try a lower FSB. :-/ Thanks again for your help Jason.

P.S. It was a darn good pork chop too!!!

Changed NB GTL Reference from .680 to .690
Could not get to windows loading screen.
Changed NB GTL Ref from .690 to .685
Loaded into Win7. Made it to third pass, BSOD uncorrectable hardware error. Changing this setting had the largest effect on the OC.

0.69 was the worst, 0.685 was better, and 0.68 is the best (so far). It seems to me that 0.675 might be even better...or it will be worse, and 0.68 is the best you can do given the NBv.

So, give 490 another shot w/ slightly lower NB GTL and see if it lasts longer.

Another thing to consider is the complicated relationship b/n NBv and NB GTL. So, if you try to adjust NBv, you would then want to try that new NBv w/ a few different NB GTL values (just go up and down 1 tick and see if you get any improvements).

Example: 1.35v NBv may work best w/ 0.68 NB-GTL, and 1.4v NBv may work best w/ 0.67 NB-GTL.

bacon.jpg
Mmmmmmmm...porkchop

Last edited:
Back