• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7-3770k + Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3 Overclocking help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cod3gen

Registered
Hello!

Help needed her folks..

Ive not been able to overclock my cpu yet, tried many things but it wont go over 35x multiplier.

Bios is F10

My settings is:
CPU Clock Ratio: 39x (for some reason, it seems to be restricted to only 39x???) (100X39)

BCLK/DMI/PEG Clock Control: Disabled
System Memory Multiplier: Auto
Memory Frequency: 1866 MHz

Advanced Core

PWM Frequency Control: Auto
CPU Over Current Protection: Auto
Internal CPU PLL Overvoltage: Auto
Intel Turbo Boost Tech: Disabled
CPU Cores Enabled: All
CPU Multi-Threading: Enabled
CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E): Disabled
C3/C6 State Support: Disabled
CPU Thermal Monitor: Auto
CPU EIST Funcion: Disabled
Bi-Directional PROCHOT: Auto

VCore is raised to 1.25v (and this works).

Both BIOS and CPU-Z says that its running on 3.5GHz and 35x Multiplier..

What to doo?

Eanble turbo boost... that is how these chips overclock. :)

Okey, Turbo boost is now enabled, its now at 3.7GHz "stock" turbo speed, however, multiplier is still sat to 39 in bios, but its now doing only 37 in "turbo mode"..

p67 and h68 chipset do not yet support overclocking of the Ivy Bridge K chips, it is a bios limitation. None of the manufactures have yet produced a bios that can allow unlocking of the multiplier, the 3570K is limited to 38 and the 3770k is limited to 39

I am building a new box and this was the sole reason I sold the 3570K chip I had picked up in favor of a 2700k because I am gonna use a GB P67-A UD7-B3 unless I sell it. The board will support the chip but not allow unlocking the multi past 38

That seems to be board specific. I can most certainly overclock past those multi's on a MIVE(P67)...In fact with a 3570k Im sitting at 4.2Ghz as we speak. ;)

This board though may have that hang up. I dont have one though to confirm/deny. Worst case OP, reset your bios to factory settings and just try to up the multi. If that doesnt work, than this board may have that problem. You can try updating the bios as there is a newer one available.

EarthDog: EIST enabled, still at 37x.. :S

Cisco Kid: Also Z68 boards then?

Looking at CPU-Z it now jumps from 16x -> 22x -> 35x -> 37x depending on load it seems, but not up to 39x

Gigabyte is supposed to be working on an updated BIOS revision that deals w/ the IB multiplier limitation on their Z68-based boards.

Could it be the new UEFI bios?

Im trying to upgrade to UEFI now, but that flashefi tool included have no intrest of co-operating with me :S

Cant install on 64bit, and ive now added another HDD and installed 32bit W7, but heys, NTVDM.EXE has stopped working.. Really funny :p

Is there any other ways to safely flash the new bios?

Updated to UEFI, all problems have dissapeared. Running at 4.3GHz on a passive cooler stable now. (ThermalRight TRUE Copper)

Downloaded the update from gigabyte, and had to run the tool in DOS;
1. Downloaded Hirens Boot CD and burned it out on a CD
2. Then i burned out the unzipped update from gigabyte
3. Then put in hirens cd and restart and boot hirens and select DOS w/ CD Drivers
4. Put in the CD with the update from Gigabyte
5. Go to CD Drive in dos, in my case D:\
6. Run the tool; autoexec.bat
7. The tool will use a couple minutes installing UEFI and then come with a message of shutdown and remove power cord and plug it back in after a few seconds, and power up the computer again and wheys, UEFI should work :)

Downloaded the update from gigabyte, and had to run the tool in DOS;
1. Downloaded Hirens Boot CD and burned it out on a CD
2. Then i burned out the unzipped update from gigabyte
3. Then put in hirens cd and restart and boot hirens and select DOS w/ CD Drivers
4. Put in the CD with the update from Gigabyte
5. Go to CD Drive in dos, in my case D:\
6. Run the tool; autoexec.bat
7. The tool will use a couple minutes installing UEFI and then come with a message of shutdown and remove power cord and plug it back in after a few seconds, and power up the computer again and wheys, UEFI should work :)
Thanks i gave the UEFI a try and it did not work, so i had to go back to F11 bios.

Okey, what went wrong? Only thing thats wrong with me now is that sleep mode wont work properly, but it didnt work properly before update either.

No change with what?

If your talking about the overclocking, it works as it should now. No problem to overclock CPU, its at 4.3GHz now, so also that 39 multiplier limit diapered with UEFI update

You said "Ok what went wrong", then proceed to talk about the sleep STILL being borked, so I replied, "nothing" since the same thing that was 'broken' is still broken.

Only the sleep function that wont work yes, overclocking no problem any more.

The thing with the sleep function is that well, it goes to sleep, but starts automatic up again after a couple seconds

For the line what went wrong was meant for wingman99 since he said i had problems and had to go back to F11 again

Okey, what went wrong? Only thing thats wrong with me now is that sleep mode wont work properly, but it didnt work properly before update either.

I was unable to use the BIOS menu to change settings and the f12 boot screen I was unable to pick boot order. I tried two different keyboards no luck.

Also my CPU fan was completely off.

For your sleep mode In power management with the network did you select no wakeup? In power management did you disable wake timers?

Last edited:
Back