• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Finished Watercooling, Now I need Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gulp35

I finished my watercooling project around mid-November 2004 and all was going well. I thought that I was going to add some anti-freeze to my system at a later date, but being forgetful it has now been nearly 2 months and there is no anti-freeze in the water.....

but that doesn't keep it from looking that way....
WC.jpg

WCWhole.jpg

This happened about 1 Month after I had the system running... (around the time I lost the paranoia that my pc would gush coolant everywhere if i didn't check it constantly)... It recieved very little sunlight and was the reason I didn't see the problem initially (without a camera flash the tubes look brown and they are inside the case where it was dark (now have UV cathodes as Xmas present *NOT INDENDED FOR STERILIZATION*)

My dad spotted the problem after we finished building our WiFi antenna's for my room
Antennas.jpg

Temps haven't increased from what they were when I started (actually got 1C lower)
I need help or reccomendations of what i should do (besides flush the system).

I wonder if it has fermented at all? I might have to patent a new distilling technique!

if I were you i'd drain it, see if that water is flamable, run loop of water and vinegar, run water, then run proper mix of water and anti-freeze...

I'll betcha you used tap water too.
probably have to drain the system, remove all the tubing and either replace or just scrub them out. same sort of thing for the W B and rad. Then refill with distilled water and your favorite additive with some sort of biocide. could be a lot of work but in the end it will be worth it.

NO NO nO on the tap water....
I used distilled, I even filtered/flushed it before I hooked up the cascade...

Now I wish I added a Res to my system I would have made it soo much easier to fill/drain.

I perfer Iodine, it would kill all bacteria/vegitation/beerish stuff in the system, and it would only need a tablespoon or two.

I wonder if it has fermented at all? I might have to patent a new distilling technique!

Looks kinda like cheap brandy...good luck and cheers! :beer:

Isopropal alcohal will work too. That's what I'm currently using.

BTW, that's what my loop looked like when I used straight RO water... It really stinks when you have to drain that stuff. I still have nighmares about it... That's part of the reason I'm using blue UV tubing now, as you can't see the water.

drain.
flush with distilled and something acidic like vineagar for a while.
re-flush with distilled.
re-fill with distilled and additives (alcohol, iodine, antifreeze, whatever) to prevent it.

OK now that that is resolved How do you guys like the rest of my Setup?

I'm a big fan of having it all contained in one case personally. That way you could look at the case and not ever know what's inside it, sort of like a sleeper. That obviously doesn't work with windows cut in though ;)

Back