• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why I will never buy open box from Newegg

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

King107s

OK, so a while back I bought an open box mainboard and what I received was pristine, included everything and worked flawlessly.

So I came across a video card I wanted and purchased it 'Open Box'

The card looked like it had been used... there was finger prints on the housing, the label looked like it had been reapplied and there was dust all over the cooling fins and fan.

It would run windows but the second any 3D app or game started it would crash the system. I know it wasn’t anything else in my system screwing with me because I had an identical card that was functioning just fine with the same driver version in the same slot.

Newegg says that it tests all open box items and that nothing should have been used. So I RMA'd it and ate the shipping cost from the original purchase. Waited a week for it to show up and a week to get the refund.

Now another card comes along (same card just more RAM) open box. I figured well maybe it was just a fluke and gave it a shot because the price was really good.

Same thing again, it appeared to be used! Popped it in my system and sure enough its DOA!!!:bang head

I called Newegg's escalation department and tore them a new one. I explained to them the difference between New, Open Box, Refurbished and Used and that if they put on their site "This item has been used, is not tested and being sold 'as is', buy at your own risk" NO ONE would purchase it. If I purchase something open box I'm expecting a new item that may be missing some accessories not a used DOA card!

Long story short I got them to refund my shipping on the last two orders and $25 off my next order which I can assure you will be New Retail!

LMAO! man you do have bad luck i have never had a problem with open box items... and of course they are going to appear used... because they are used!

I'm not a betting man, but I often "wager" on Open Box deals from Newegg. I'd say I'm batting around .800 with regard to Open Box deals working as they should. I agree they should not ship obviously used items, but this is part of the risk one takes for these discounts IMO. I believe the return policy is 30-Days, right? So you can safely assume an open Box item could have been in-use for up to 30 Days prior to you buying it...

:cool:

O I explained to them the difference between New, Open Box, Refurbished and Used and that if they put on their site "This item has been used, is not tested and being sold 'as is', buy at your own risk" NO ONE would purchase it. If I purchase something open box I'm expecting a new item that may be missing some accessories not a used DOA card!

Ahem...I think newegg makes it clear enough what you're getting yourself into.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/Openbox.aspx?Type=OPENBOX&name=Open-Box
Open box items are previously-owned products that have been returned to Newegg.com.

http://www.newegg.com/HelpInfo/ReturnPolicy.aspx#29
The entire risk as to the quality and performance of these items is with the buyer. These items have been tested for functionality, but may have superficial physical defects including, but not limited to, scratches, dings or dents. Should these items exhibit a functional defect following their purchase, the buyer (not the manufacturer, distributor, or Newegg) assumes the entire cost of all necessary servicing or repairs, unless otherwise required by law. These items are not covered by any 30-day satisfaction guarantee.

Newegg open box can be a great deal, and it also tends to be pretty spotty. I think Gautam hit the nail on the head - they're pretty explicit about what you're signing up for.

I've had especially bad luck with video cards, decent luck with motherboards.

Of all the years I've ordered open box items from newegg, I recieved 1 motherboard that was defective. Newegg replaced it with no problem. I did'nt have to pay for return shipping either.

It's all luck of the draw when you buy open box. I'm sure Newegg doesn't sell dead or damaged parts deliberately.

The lady accidently admitted to items not being tested... she said "Sometimes items are returned because the customer will say that they just weren't happy with it. So we return the item to circulation (without testing it)".

I could give a crap if its missing a decal or cord even a little dusty but not functioning should be not saleable! What they do garuntee is the item itself and that it works. What they state is that the items are tested and fully functional, this is obviously not true.

This was more of a venting session than a cautionary tale anyway, thanks for listening :)

Last edited:
The lady accidently admitted to items not being tested... she said "Sometimes items are returned because the customer will say that they just weren't happy with it. So we return the item to circulation (without testing it)".

I could give a crap if its missing a decal or cord even a little dusty but not functioning should be not saleable! What they do garuntee is the item itself and that it works. What they state is that the items are tested and fully functional, this is obviously not true.

This was more of a venting session than a cautionary tale anyway, thanks for listening :)

Lol, well you whined about fingerprints :p

It'd be nice if they actually tested as they claimed on the site and not send one that only works in 2D mode and one that is DOA.

Open box is still crap shoot no matter how you look at it. You may get a good deal on a brand spanking new box with everything included, or you may get something important missing. Or it has a minor defect that may not show up in a quick test, or it's dead.

My open box RIIE just came today, and it was all fine o_O

Just the mobo though. But for 150$ off, who cares :p

It's Open Box.
9 times out of 10 the item is fully functional.
Guess the odds played out on you.
I've never received an OB item from NEWEGG that I have had a problem with.
Knock on wood.

Out of the dozens of open box items I've only had to return one and Newegg was slick and quick about the whole deal. Emailed me a shipping label and sent a replacement out the same day.

Always call and talk to someone live there. The automated process is good but there CS is better. :D

I am confused as to why there was surprise at an "open box" item being used? lol

I agree with you though - NewEgg's open box stuff is a huge gamble.

On a side note, it would also be nice if Newegg would use a return shipping method that didn’t take over a week in transit. UPS ground is slower than anything else on earth (other than AMD processors of course )! I guess they just aren't in a hurry to give us a refund.

If I were a company trying to make right something that went wrong, I'd be moving as fast as possible to make the customer happy!

1 day for the RMA approval
7 days shipping
7 days processing
= half a month before you get your money back. Not sure why everyone keeps singing the praises of the expediency of their RMA process...

If I purchase something open box I'm expecting a new item that may be missing some accessories not a used DOA card!

Long story short I got them to refund my shipping on the last two orders and $25 off my next order which I can assure you will be New Retail!

If you purchase someting open box you assume it's obviously used, where do you get the idea that something already opened it's new? I mean, it falls from the tree...

On a side note, it would also be nice if Newegg would use a return shipping method that didn’t take over a week in transit. UPS ground is slower than anything else on earth (other than AMD processors of course )! I guess they just aren't in a hurry to give us a refund.

If I were a company trying to make right something that went wrong, I'd be moving as fast as possible to make the customer happy!

1 day for the RMA approval
7 days shipping
7 days processing
= half a month before you get your money back. Not sure why everyone keeps singing the praises of the expediency of their RMA process...

Dear King107s,

First, I must apologize that you were sent something that didn't work. I'm sure that I too would be very unhappy, to say the least, in this situation. As for our return processing time, our website states, "It usually takes 2-5 business days from the time we receive your shipment to review and approve your RMA". The shipping will of course depend on how far you are from the warehouse. With this being said, I would like you to contact me so I can see about getting this situation resolved ASAP. We do not wish for you to be unsatisfied and will do what we can to accommodate you.

800-390-1119 Ext 25092
[email protected]

Back