• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nice "Latest HDD" roundup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Looks good. It's weird that they gave Seagate the highest percentage grade, and they say it's the worst in all the benchmarks.

I'm wondering - do OEM hard drives come with the SATA cables?

whozyodaddy said:
I'm wondering - do OEM hard drives come with the SATA cables?
Almost never :(
(I only say almost because if I say never, there would be that one person out there who somehow managed to get a SATA cable with an OEM drive and prove me wrong ;) )

I've not been impressed with my Hitachi 7K250. It's taken me weeks of trial-and-error testing to get my pc running stably with the drive. Turned out that the drive just doesn't like the SATA drivers provided by NVidia for my Lanparty NF3. Switched to windows default dual-channel IDE drivers and all is well.

Still, I wouldn't recommend it - it's definitely noisier than I expected.

Binny.

Binman_UK said:
I've not been impressed with my Hitachi 7K250. It's taken me weeks of trial-and-error testing to get my pc running stably with the drive. Turned out that the drive just doesn't like the SATA drivers provided by NVidia for my Lanparty NF3. Switched to windows default dual-channel IDE drivers and all is well.

Still, I wouldn't recommend it - it's definitely noisier than I expected.

Binny.
Thanks for the feedback Binny!

Anyone try one of the new 7200.8 Seagate drives with NCQ?

gvblake22 said:
Thanks for the feedback Binny!

Anyone try one of the new 7200.8 Seagate drives with NCQ?
Yep, and I even have a raptor to compare it with. The Raptor of course smokes the seagate, but the seagate isn't that bad. I would reccomend it for monster file store, but not as the primary drive for a gaming system.

NTX-Zoner said:
Yep, and I even have a raptor to compare it with. The Raptor of course smokes the seagate, but the seagate isn't that bad. I would reccomend it for monster file store, but not as the primary drive for a gaming system.
Cool, thanks Zoner! :)

lowfat said:
I have a Seagate 7200.8 drive with NCQ. Its a decent drive. Main reason i purchased it was because of the warranty though.
"decent"?
What are you trying to say? ...that those new 7200.8 drives are not that good as one would of thought?

Hirlix said:
"decent"?
What are you trying to say? ...that those new 7200.8 drives are not that good as one would of thought?

I came from a 7200 rpm 120GB IDE Maxtor drive with 2MB of cache. Its of course better, but i can't compare it to any other 8mb SATA drive because i've never owned any.

Strange...I expected the Diamondmax 10 to perform a lot better, given all the hoopla I've been hearing about it. Mine seems to perform very well, and I certainly am glad that it has a 3 year warranty after my last two Maxtors died within a month of each other.

Back