• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need LCD monitor recommendations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tru2ya

Well, the first link is a widescreen, would you prefer that over a normal box? Watching movies on them is great, and you mentioned that thats some of what you'll be doing.

I'd go with the first one personally.

Yeah, I've heard good things about Samsung, but it's personal preference about widescreen. It is good for games and movies though, and the extra space may be good for having more windows open at once, with a view to picture editing and research.

Does the 1440x900 res matter? I heard some guy complaining once on another site that it's "wonky"...

I'm not willing to pay $70+ for 1 extra inch(maybe like this guy) but does it matter?

boris_37 said:
Does the 1440x900 res matter? I heard some guy complaining once on another site that it's "wonky"...

I'm not willing to pay $70+ for 1 extra inch(maybe like this guy) but does it matter?

I think i've heard something similar to that also. I'm not sure, but I think the 19" wide screen might be a slightly smaller over all (compared to standard 19") and that some programs are quirky with 1440x900 res?

I think the mutiple windows will be useful to me and for the movies. My only concern was whether or not the 500:1 for the widescreen vs. the normal size 700:1 contrast would really make a difference. What are your opinions about the difference in color contrasts?

Any other monitors you can suggest in that price range? Btw, the reason why I was checking out bestbuy was because of this nice $30 gift certificate I got for christmas. ;) If you think I can get a better monitor for about that price some place else where my certificate is useless, please don't hesitate to tell me.

no no, just curious.

However side note while we are on the topic. What does say a 4ms (gray to gray) response time... actually mean? I know it's how fast it takes to "talk" to the computer but what does the gray to gray signify?

TN panels are really just for games. Low colour reproduction, fast response, low view angles. :p

But they're cheap...

I personally wouldn't get a 19 widescreen. Have you been to a store and actually viewed some screens and sizes? 900 high is not nice.

I just picked one up today, althought there are better options out there it's hard to beat for the price. As far as surface area goes I expected to loose some real estate however I trade the vertical space for more horizontal which I value more any way.

Back