• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What would you charge for a simple website?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ThePerfectCore

Red Raccoon Dojo
I was unofficially hired to do a website for a local business, and the owner told me that since the site looks good, he's going to go through with it, and that I need to decide how much to charge him.

I have no clue.

It took me maybe all of 30 minutes to whip together the site, and most of that was spent browsing for advanced HTML table options (CSS styling and the like). I guess total build time was more of 15 minutes.

There was a little PHP involved, but it was just for kicks.

How much would you charge? How much do professional web designers charge?

Say x amount per hour. $40 to $50 per hour so $25-approx for the site? Not sure what the web developer hourly wage is.

David

Always charge for a full hour if you charge by the hour.

Some web designers change by the site, some by the hour. My opinion is that by the site is more fair. I really do not know what the average is, but I know some are several hundred dollars
I would have to see the site to say more. Probably $50 or so would not be bad.

Since it only took 30mins, I would let him have it for free. No offense, but it really can't be worth much if it only took half an hour. BUT- any upgrades, changes, advice, etc etc to it will cost him.

This is why I ALWAYS agree to a price up front before I do any computer work for somebody. It's too easy to end up with a client feeling ripped off, or feeling like you didn't get paid enough for what you did. I've done jobs where the client was expecting a $50 bill, and got one for $400.....not a pretty sight.

Idea: stick a hitcounter on the page, and charge him one cent for every unique pageview :D

Since it only took 30mins, I would let him have it for free. No offense, but it really can't be worth much if it only took half an hour.

You're right, but it is just the skeleton. He's going to give me stuff to add on later.

I'm guessing I'll go $30 for the whole thing, 'cuz I'm not hurting for cash right now.

give me a link and i'll give you a price.....

make sure you set a standard hourly rate for updates and let him know that since you'll be adding to it later...

Web work varies depending on what's involved and whether or not he'll need you to maintain it. I'd need more details to work with. But essentially if you're building him a complete PHP storefront I'd estimate a $300 total.

Back