• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it Possible????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

newbienerd

I sincerely appologize for the amount of crap that I am about to post on this thread!!!

I recently bought a Compaq Presario 4112 from a garage sale for $10 dollars and decided that this could be a computer that I can learn from. Anyways, I've been making mods and cutting out drive bays and stuff, installing fans and so on. I've been reading up on modding and overclocking and found out that voltage modding is the best way to get stable overclocks.

I tried reading up on the threads, but most of them speak only of high end gear, which is not my Comcrap... errrr... i mean Compaq. It has an intel PCI chipset, with the original intel pentium (original and ancient) cpu that runs at 3.4 v std and 3.5 vre core (which I still am not too clear on what that means) and a 3.4 I/O. I was able to get a semi-stable overclock out of my 120 mHz cpu to 133 mhz at 66 x 3. How can I adjust the voltage? Is that possible on my mobo? I know that the high end gear can do jumper and jumperless settings, but I doubt that is possible on my ancient socket 7 mobo.

Also, I have an Intel MMX cpu that somewhat runs but crashes at certain points, since it seems that it only needs 2.8v core. Anyways, is there anything I can do? Please help me. I am so new to this and I want to learn.

Since I am on a rant, I want to ask if it is possible to get a 75 mHz frequency on my mobo and even a 3.5 to 3 clock multi?? I only have up to 66 mhz and 3 time multi. Is there anything (somewhat simple) I can do to enhance this?

Also, the mobo is equiped with 2 ram slots and two empty 'slots' on the board. Why in the hell would compaq cut out two slots and not put anything in it???? anyways, I have considered extracting two slots from some old mobos i have and solder it in to the 'new' mobo. Is this possible? safe? it's already running at 72 mHz anyways. All the circuitry seems to be there... :S

Anyways, I hope someone out there can help me. Any and all help will be much appreciated. please feel free to impart your wisdom into me. thanks

I am such a noob!!! I feel like punching myself. LOL!!!!

Thanks...

NEWBIENERD

The motherboard the Compaq has, is very unlikely to have any voltage options, but you might be lucky. Look on the motherboard for sets of jumpers, since old age overclocking was hardware overclocking ;)

Also, the best way of overclocking that P1 is to increase the multiplier. This can usually be done as well using jumpers on the motherboard.

The two empty ram slots mean nothing, maybe the machine wasnt the top-of-its-line, so they left them empty. Soldering things like RAM slots onto your motherboard is a very bad idea - will very likely kill the motherboard, and it will *very* unlikely ever function properly.

Ive been into the P1s myself for awhile...great fun toying around with :cool:

Is there a way of increasing FSB frequency capability? Clock multiplier frequency? I have a K6 that runs at 3.5 x 66 and if I can get my mobo to do 3.5 then i can make it work. it won't underclock at 3 cuz the thing is locked... unless there is a way of unlocking it... errrr...

thanks...
Newbienerd!

I know where the jumpers are and how to play with them I can adjust both of them. But the problem is that the motherboard can only go up to 66 mHz and up to times 3 clock multiplier.. is there a way of modifying the motherboard to clock up to times 3.5 clock multiplier??

Not AFAIK. Ive seen a few boards being able to go upto 4, and even 8x on a slot 1 board, but, of course, that doesnt fit.

what is a slot one? is that a rectangle slot that rises upwards?? if it is then my board is equipped with it. i think

You can get a k6-2 500Mhz from newegg and do the 1.5 or was it .5 multiplier to give it the higher multis? It is only like $16.

but like I said... I can only multiply up to 3.0 but not 3.5 my fsb is limited to 66 mHz.
The thing I was wondering is if it is possible to break those barriers and modify the motherboard to accept or to do multipliers of 3.5 or more??? and break over the 66 mHz??? can it be done?

Back