• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Machines for prospective buyers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Alright, afficianado close the other thread similar to this. Google doc is on top now.
Jmtyra - thanks for the help!

Jmtyra I noticed that when you made your mobo purchase and when nihilus made his first post you both opted for the ASUS Z8NA-D6C (MIO) instead of the cheaper ASUS Z8NA-D6C. While reading through the specs of each board it seems the only difference is this odd sound card addon(both boards support it, only one comes with it). Both boards (despite thier description) support the same processors with the most recent bios, same RAM, etc. So was the audio the only reason for dropping the extra ~$30 on that other board or am I missing something here?

Both boards (despite thier description) support the same processors with the most recent bios, same RAM, etc. So was the audio the only reason for dropping the extra ~$30 on that other board or am I missing something here?

Good catch -system went up one PPD/$. Don't remember it being like that. :shrug: I think that was a new addition and price drop for newegg, but it's been updated. :thup:

Found a thread buried deep in the intarwebs that said he was able to use this HSF on that board w/o clearence issues.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233029

Another mention of the Dynatron G555 apparently they are fairly loud but do a goosd job and dont have any trouble fitting in there.

Also the originally more expensive asus board is on sale for $10 less than the cheap one atm.

Last edited:
Hmmm...I wonder what RAM the guy was using? The CM 212+ coolers I was using look fairly similar to that one. Could be the guy's RAM didn't have heat spreaders, maybe? :shrug: I dunno.

IIRC it was either patriot or Crucial. And it had heat spreaders but he was adamant about the fact that the ram could not have any of those extended fins or it wouldnt fit. The clearance was just within "I got it to fit". In regards to the Dynatron's though he said it fit just fine. Apparently they are 77mm fans and rated at ~51dba so it can be pretty loud at full tilt. But it would have room for a fan adapter to change it to something a bit more reasonable. Also it is not recommended for procs above 100W

Personally I think Ill just get one of each and try it out. Unfortunately that will be a while before it can happen.

Well I still don't know what I'm "really" going to do, but eventually I'd like to try a few different coolers on this board for the OC community, mainly the teams (folding, SETI, rosetta, etc), so everyone has a viable option for hardware upgrades in the future.

(See how I went sneaky and went from OT back to MT?) :p

This and similar conversations pertaining to the Z8NA-D6(C) board can be found here. (reference build log)

Nihilus, sorry for the spam in your thread! :( The relevant information required for your thread here should be available there. If there is something I don't include, let me know. :thup:

Back