• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

If you use Nanotherm's PCM+ , you NEED to read this

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Looks like a bunch of miscreants to me. They've never had business from my friends and I, and never will.

I also know for a fact that this is a serious issue. I have seen a Professional testing machines die that has been damaged by this PCM+ They need to send the die out to be repaired as replacing it costs $1600

Kinda ironic huh?
I have had it on my computer for more than a month and have had NO problems at all with it. MAYBE you got a BAD batch. Do-do happens. I get bad parts from where I work but I do not go bashing GM for it. I can tell you countless times of parts being bad on a car from DAY ONE. I had a car in the shop the other day that had 15!! miles on it and had a bad fuel pump. Things happen. This is why man invented warranties. If you buy an Intel/AMD retail box it should be covered as long as you did not remove the original TIM. Sorry it happened to you but IMHO I think you overreacted. Most companies will offer to replace the part damaged by using their products.

Did you try reading the articles? Not sure "who" you're addressing either.

My personal opinion is Nanotherm releases products without
the necessary research and long term testing. I could be wrong but this is my opinion.

But lets look back to 2001 with Nanotherm Ice

http://www.3dvelocity.com/reviews/nanotherm/ice_2.htm

Now this is a heatsink with the Nanotherm PCM+ (and this is not an isolated incident)
burn1.jpg

http://www.piratesoftware.org/showarticle.asp?intarticleID=37&page=1

PS squirtle632 if you would read all the info you will notice most of the complaints are from long term usage. 30 days does not count as long term. Some people have been affected by this in the short term though. IMHO you'd have to be out of your gord to use Nanotherm pcm+ (Unless your a glutton for punishment)

Nanotherm has blamed these affects not on bad batches but on the heatsink manufacturers and on Oxidation. This is a bull**** situation and thats why Nanotherm reps disapeared from most every forum. Only a few weeks ago they were on every forum.

Where are they know?

Tyranos, this was not towards you. Sorry if you took it as such.

SilverSinkSam: I have been using it for about 6 weeks and have seen NO difference in temps. If anything they are going down. I use my computer all the time. 8-10hr/day of HARD CPU intensive work. I will heed your warning but.................

squirtle632 said:
Tyranos, this was not towards you. Sorry if you took it as such.

SilverSinkSam: I have been using it for about 6 weeks and have seen NO difference in temps. If anything they are going down. I use my computer all the time. 8-10hr/day of HARD CPU intensive work. I will heed your warning but.................

Have you removed your heatsink in those 6 weeks....LOL You don't even know if you are affected unless you remove it and look for damage. You may have good temps but what good is that if your heatsink may be being eaten away/Destroyed by this compound

totally agree with SSS.. might need to look at yoru setup now.. its been 6 weeks.. if you wait longer and something bad happens to yoru cpu/heatsink.. then you'll regret it and by then its too late cuz you'll have to shell out more money for replacement parts

Looked at my HSF and chip.
All is well. No nothing except for the scratch I put on the HSF by accident. Temps are within 5°C of ambient # normal usage just like they were before.
I will keep an eye out but I see no reason to worry for now.

Hmm, I have had this stuff (given to me by scott for review) on my P4 system (that my friend now ownz) for over 3 months. I will be revisiting that system soon and removing the HS and taking a look. If I find anything wrong there I will add pictures.

Stay tuned....

Can anyone show me if this has happened on a P4, that forum has a pic right below the article, but I cant tell if it was from a p4 or an AMD. So far I only see it happening on AMD.(unless that pic under the article is from a P4 ofcourse)

BTW, this is the image I was speaking of, somebody is stupid if they think they can keep using this TIM without probs.
attachment.php

Last edited:
Damn. I just got my freaking bottle of PCM+ about 5 days ago. It's all I've got and I need to get leak testing going so I can boot tomorrow. I'll have to run up to the local computer store and pray they have arctic silver III in stock :(

schismspeak said:
Can anyone show me if this has happened on a P4, that forum has a pic right below the article, but I cant tell if it was from a p4 or an AMD. So far I only see it happening on AMD.(unless that pic under the article is from a P4 ofcourse)

I'm pretty sure they make processors out of the same stuff... so it won't matter what kind of processor you have. Of course, P4's have the IHS's, which I didnt think about until just now. So it depends on what exactly is going on chemically if it will effect P4's.

I've got the exact same marking on my waterblock and sk-7 as the one SSS posted. it isn't "scorch mark". It IS oxidation (and also slight "molding" of the copper... I can read my cpu specs in the marking.) The ones in the article look different so i can't comment on those however.

I am now, and have always been using AS3 on both. I've never even seen a tube of PCM+ unless my eyes brushed over it in compusa or something.

About the material drying out, almost any nonsilicon based thermal paste will, and silicon based ones will eventually seperate. That is why most long term uses have PCM (as in the sort on the bottom of retail heatsinks) on them.

I'm not sure what is so scandalous about these articles, except that pcm+ is marketed to long-term users whereas AS3 really isn't (to my knowledge).

The thing that really caught my eye were the results of how severely pcm+ whalloped as3... I thought they were just about even. Even more important to me is how severly AS5 whalloped pcm+. I doubt I'll be buying pcm+ anytime soon... but I'll get as5 as soon as I can (if it isn't outrageously overpriced) and compair as3 and as5.

squirtle632 said:
Looked at my HSF and chip.
All is well. No nothing except for the scratch I put on the HSF by accident. Temps are within 5°C of ambient # normal usage just like they were before.
I will keep an eye out but I see no reason to worry for now.

Heres a very simple question, did you buy your PCM+ or was it given to you as a sample by Scott or any person remotely affiliated with Nanotherm, (including this rocko guy).

Simple question as I am curious, its come to my attention that Nanotherm allegedly doesn't properly, nor do they have the ability to test the pastes properly, but instead rely on giving samples and let the people pimp their products. This is not the way a company that markets thermal paste should behave, they should test the products like all the other thermal manufacturers do. (giving review samples is fine, but testing is vital)

Only reason I ask is after I started this thread you changed your SIG with CAPITAL FONTS in reference to Nanotherm PCM+, I thought that was odd you would change your SIG......Nothing wrong with that but I thought it was odd

schismspeak said:
I'll keep my coolermaster High performance compound thankyou. Nanotherm ever heard of long term testing..:rolleyes:

Your probably be better off with your Coolermaster paste.
Forget about long term testing, the problem here may be PCM+ isn't long term lasting ;)

Back