• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

blower vs fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bwanaaa

im building a rad box and cant decide between these 2 ways of moving air.

blower choices:
1)nutone bathroom blowers 80 cfm .7sones $59 also a 300 cfm model consisting of 3 blowers ganged together-but this one is audible and more expensive
2)used auto heater blower-these run off dc but suck down the amps

fan choices:
1)attic gable fan 1600 cfm at $50 from home cheapo - maybe get a dimmer to slow it down
2)inline 8inch duct fan 600 cfm @ $29 also from there
3)papst,panaflo or nexus cluster-expensive and weak but quiet and dc

Obviously the fan choice is irrelevant without knowing the radiator

I am going to the junkyard and see if i can find a small radiator, not a heater core. I want a big surface area so i can run the fans slow. With a filter in front of it, i can watercool the pc and clean the room air at the same time.

Blowers own all because they have major pressure which is very benefical pushing though a dense heater core. after all car manufacturers made them to work with blowers not fans. I stoped believing fan CFM ratings when I got a torin 80 CFM blower and it would blow papers off the table from 10 ft away. My so called 80CFM panaflo can't do it from 3ft.

Ive been looking for a dual blower that runs from 12-24V DC power like surplus center used to sell but I cant for the life of me find an online place that sells them. I've found that EBM/Papst makes 2 models of dual inlet blowers models K3G097-AA and the K3G097-BA that look to have damn impressive pressure vs airflow curves but again cant find anyone selling them. Those 2 blowers would be deafening at full voltage but if they could be adjusted down to 18V from 24V then I would think they'd be quieter and still keep up unreal pressure in a radbox. If anyone knows of any dula blowers like the ones listed above and more importantly where to buy them at please list the links here.

Animal982 said:
Ive been looking for a dual blower that runs from 12-24V DC power like surplus center used to sell but I cant for the life of me find an online place that sells them. I've found that EBM/Papst makes 2 models of dual inlet blowers models K3G097-AA and the K3G097-BA that look to have damn impressive pressure vs airflow curves but again cant find anyone selling them. Those 2 blowers would be deafening at full voltage but if they could be adjusted down to 18V from 24V then I would think they'd be quieter and still keep up unreal pressure in a radbox. If anyone knows of any dula blowers like the ones listed above and more importantly where to buy them at please list the links here.
http://blowerwheel.com/blowers-dc-volts.htm

BeerHunter said:
I've been eyeing.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2004091018475255&item=16-1278&catname=electric

Only $50, BIG wheeled, low RPM (ie quiet maybe) and 436CFM and from spal which is a well known commerical manufacturer. If I can get it to spin at about 200rpm I bet it would be silent.

Yea, but that thing SUCKS down the amps. I dont think a whole computer ps could power it. Instead, how about
http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2004091018082343&item=16-1237&catname=electric

A/C and still powerful.

go for the blower. the 1600 cfm attic fan would just be overkill. you would get NO imporvement over the blower. remember that you can only get the water down to ambient with just regualr aircooling. putting a 160cfm fan on there may do it but running 2 heatercores both with blowers will also do it quietly

are blowers generally bad for sucking air through HCs? So have the HC in the front of the box and have the blower in the back to suck the air through the front?

Gautam said:
Blower's only push air; they can't pull it.

Here's a picture of a 100 page glossy magazine being held against the radiators with enough force to overcome gravity by the sheer sucking power of the blower I used.

fannage3.jpg

bwanaaa said:
Yea, but that thing SUCKS down the amps. I dont think a whole computer ps could power it. Instead, how about
http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2004091018082343&item=16-1237&catname=electric

A/C and still powerful.

10A is nothing for a real PSU like PCP&C or other 35+A PSU's .. BEsides like your going to run it full bore? I would'nt becsause who needs 436CFM? it has two lower speeds and probably could be made to run even lower with a rehostat lessoning the current draw signifigantly. Maybe ~4-5A.

But AC is'nt a bad idea either I just prefer a larger wheel (6" vs 5") consuming an even smaller space. The Spal blowers motor is built into the wheel making it only 5-7/8" wide, easily can fit in standared ATX/BTX towers. The Fasco A/C blower is basically a 10" square requireing and external box or a large square case. Not to mention you have over double the CFM to work with with the Spal.

Cathar said:
Here's a picture of a 100 page glossy magazine being held against the radiators with enough force to overcome gravity by the sheer sucking power of the blower I used.

fannage3.jpg

How loud is the thing?

Does anyone by chance have the dual blower from http://blowerwheel.com/blowers-dc-volts.htm and have any input on it like noise, its pressure vs airflow curve, or even Torin's site that would have the specs listed? I tried Googling for info on the model number and even sent and email to blowerwheel.com and no one seems to know any more info besides whats listed.

You can usually find a similar model, and the specs. Just try to match the voltage, amps, and wheel diameters as much as possible, and it'll give you a fair idea.

Back