• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

loads of problems with my xp x64 install

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jediobi1

ok so today i was trying to get a game installed so that i could try and extract the textures from it, well i dont know what happend but for some reason my theme changed to the windows classic theme and when i restarted to try and fix it, it would start to load windows and then as soon as its about to start (at the part with the blue loading bar)

it restarts and it just kept doing that til i was able to choose last known good configuration and it booted, however i did not have a task bar, i cant copy and paste or cut and paste and i can not drag and drop files

both of which are bad since i went out and bought a copy of vista 64 and wanna backup my files but i cant, i also do not have internet on windows and i cant create a connection, so i dont know whats going on, but if any of you have any ideas please let me know, im trying to fix this before i go to work tonight, so i await your answers and thanks for reading

what game was it you were installing? did it install any 3rd party software that isn't 64 bit compatible?

the game was star wars xwing alliance and no it didnt install any 3rd party software as i didnt get it installed i had to copy the files from another computer to get it to work under 64bit windows since its a 16bit installer if i remember correctly

after 30 pages of google searching i found an answer, i managed to use a ubuntu cd to backup my files and am now running vista 64bit :)

I didn't quite understand what you were asking or I would have suggested a linux cd to retrieve the data. I thought you were looking for someone to fix your problem not work around it :D

I didn't quite understand what you were asking or I would have suggested a linux cd to retrieve the data. I thought you were looking for someone to fix your problem not work around it :D

well i was trying to find a workaround or a fix to the problems i was having but after i found the link for the ubuntu cd to backup my files i went for that :santa:

XP64 has very little support as it was never a main stream for people that play games. Youll just have to go back to 32Bit XP, or jump on to Vista.

Hmm,dunno what the problem was,but every 32 bit game i had worked ok with it.I don't have a ton of games tho.That aside,xp64 is a bad choice amongst choices but i bought mine when it first came out but sorta then got the"gonna stay oem" info from ms,doh.:bang head:)

Hmm,dunno what the problem was,but every 32 bit game i had worked ok with it.I don't have a ton of games tho.That aside,xp64 is a bad choice amongst choices but i bought mine when it first came out but sorta then got the"gonna stay oem" info from ms,doh.:bang head:)
the problem i had was the first one i had with xp x64

XP64 has very little support as it was never a main stream for people that play games. Youll just have to go back to 32Bit XP, or jump on to Vista.

i already went to 64bit vista but i also never had any problems with any programs on xp x64, just xwing alliance which is a 16bit installer and doesnt work under 64bit os

Back