• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Computer heats up my room!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
"Either you guys have rooms the size of a closet..." I got a friend with a room like that 6' x 9' on the second floor and south side of the house!! the roof cuts down past a third of the room. You can't use the computer from 12:00 to 2:00. The funny part is he joined the military and has a larger living space in barracks… :D

Also point the fan in your room. The colder air in on the floor.. Warm air rises.

I know that when I go over to my friend's house and we are both gaming on our comps with the door closed it gets hot in the room. The room our computers are in is noticable hotter than the rest of the house. Usually one computer doesn't do much, but when you get a couple of high performance systems running at load in the same room, they can warm the room pretty quickly.

Wow I didn't know so many other people had the same issue. My room is pretty small and my computer does heat it up a lot. I usually open a window and put a box fan in it, it helps a lot. I'm really dreading the summer months, I think I may have to build a duct because we have central cooling but not much cool air gets upstairs. Heat rises and my dark roof absorbs all the sun that shines on it and there is little shade around the house. It was hot in my room during summer before I built this rig, no telling what it is going to be like now.

honda_man, I think you have no clue how hot computers can get. I put my hand over my psu's exhaust and its a little more then warm. Yes a computer will raise a rooms temp if it isnt well ventalated. It will no matter how big the room is. If you have a computer room (no ventelation) @ 75 degrees and your computer is running 110 exhaust, the room will eventualy get that warm because there is no were for the heat to go.

This is a really awesome thread. I don't know why I didn't make one just like this myself. Just this past summer I went lef my appartment at college to go home for about a month. I hooked both of my overclocked computers up in my bedroom, located on the 2nd floor of my house.

I have:

Gaming PC.....................................Everything else PC
ASUS A7N8X-DEL 2.0.............................EPOX 8RDA+
2500Barton [email protected].....................1700xp 200x11.5 1.7V
ATI Radeon 9700Pro (retail)....................Xtasy GF4 TI4600
2x256 Geil Dragon PC3500 2/3/3/[email protected]....Geil 256 PC2700 2.5cas
WD 80gig Special Ed. 7200.....................WD 120&80gig Spec. Ed.
Lite-On 40x CDRW & Sony DVD 16X..........NEC 4X DVD+R
SB Audigy Gamer..................................SB Audigy Platinum
6 Blue LED case fans.............................5 Blue LED case fans
SLK-800u with Vantec Tornado...............ThermalT Volcano 11+
Aspire X-DreamerII 350W (new PS?).........Enermax 300W seethru
Vantec Nexus fan controller (blue LED)......Vantec Iceburg (copper)

Let me just tell you that my dad would always say "What the hell... your room is the hottest room in the house. It stinks b/c it's so hot in there. Turn those damn things off."

Wow did it get HOT in my room in the summer (even with central air on 24-7) I'd either have to turn off the gaming PC and put a fan in my room, or go sleep in the basement in the extra room. It aint bad at all now using it as heat for the winter.

A room with poor ventilation can be heated up fairly easily over a period of time: add heat and then don't let it get away= higher temps.

Try a simple experiment-
put a thermometer in a closet and leave the door open, wait an hour and record the temp.
add a light with 100watt bulb (turned on of course!) and wait an hour- record temp again.
Now close the door and leave the light on. Cover any gaps around the door if you can. Wait the same hour and check the temp again.

The first two will be about the same but the third will be higher. This shows the effect of adding a heat source both with and without ventilation.

The key is to think of the room exactly the same as your computer case: if you have bad airflow, temps WILL go up inside.
Just how much depends on how hot your chip(s) is(are).

In my case, I have one chip around 120watts, 4 around 90ish and one dually around 60per cpu (I think...). that is about 600 watts. (All numbers are rough guesstimates based on old calcs.)
If the window down here is NOT cracked on even the coldest days it warms up pretty quick.

honda_man said:
You people have no clue what you are talking about. A computer will not raise the temps in a room. In order for that to happen you would have to have 20 computers running to notice a difference. I run three 24 hrs a day, seven days a week and it has no effect on my room. My computer room is only 7' x 9'. I do not have a problem. Of course I know what indoor air quality means. Do you?

I must say, my pc heats up my room like 5C, and it only runs 6 hours perday. so I do notice. (I do not mean to insult you, just making a point)

I've got 4 pc's in the same room right now.
3x AMD Athlon XP2100
1x Intel Celeron 667

and my room is approx 5 degrees hotter than any other room.

It really has to do with were the sun is relative to the room, if the sun is shining directly on the room, it should be hot, fortunately, this room doesnt see alot of sun

An "air handler" that is supposed to cool my office has been broken. Lets see, there are 10 computers in the room and up to 5 people. I'd only consider one computer to be a performance computer though and they are all running at stock. Temps are definantly running high in here. I get the ice wall effect when I leave the door. When the air handler was working there wasn't a noticable difference.

Fortunatly, at home my apartment is very well ventalated with large cold air vents in every room. My computer is in the dining room, which is open to the large main living room. I've never noticed a problem with it, but the temperature is always well controled by the thermostat and either the heater or the AC.

My main PC doesn't heat up my room at all...case temps are a constant 1*F over ambient at full load.

The thing that heats up my room is the audio system...hehe... :D

rogerdugans said:
A room with poor ventilation can be heated up fairly easily over a period of time: add heat and then don't let it get away= higher temps.

Try a simple experiment-
put a thermometer in a closet and leave the door open, wait an hour and record the temp.
add a light with 100watt bulb (turned on of course!) and wait an hour- record temp again.
Now close the door and leave the light on. Cover any gaps around the door if you can. Wait the same hour and check the temp again.

The first two will be about the same but the third will be higher. This shows the effect of adding a heat source both with and without ventilation.

The key is to think of the room exactly the same as your computer case: if you have bad airflow, temps WILL go up inside.
Just how much depends on how hot your chip(s) is(are).

In my case, I have one chip around 120watts, 4 around 90ish and one dually around 60per cpu (I think...). that is about 600 watts. (All numbers are rough guesstimates based on old calcs.)
If the window down here is NOT cracked on even the coldest days it warms up pretty quick.

Thanks for the advice. I did what you said and now my room stays pretty cool except when I shut the door at night.

I bought a window AC unit for my room for the summers. I can't wait to plug that baby in again this summer.

I also have to keep my window open during the days with my fountain cooler because it will heat the place up pretty quick otherwise.

If you are having a problem with heat create a flow of air similar to the flow in a computer. At work my server room has 5 Compaq Proliant Servers in a room 5" x 10" and I have an intake fan at the front of the room on the floor and an exhaust at the back of the room at the top of the wall. This has created a flow of air similar to the air flow in a computer case. The room stays around 70-74 degrees farenheit with this setup.

I experience the same thing. It got to the point where I knew my CPU fan (stock) was dying because it would overheat at night when my door was closed and the room heated up. Replaced the stock with a Vantec CopperX, and it overheats no more. Near impossible to get to sleep with the fan noise, though :).

I'm running a Celeron 333, Athlon 1800+, and an Athlon 2100+...

bluediamond said:
If you are having a problem with heat create a flow of air similar to the flow in a computer. At work my server room has 5 Compaq Proliant Servers in a room 5" x 10" and I have an intake fan at the front of the room on the floor and an exhaust at the back of the room at the top of the wall. This has created a flow of air similar to the air flow in a computer case. The room stays around 70-74 degrees farenheit with this setup.

LOL dude you crack me up..

Is your pillow water cooled?

Back