• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DIY Low Cost Benching Station

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Very nice, I like it. I'll be doing something similar once I retire my first attempt at a custom case (the 2 foot tall thing :D).

Yeah its a very tempting idea.....bookmarked

Last edited:
This is perfect timing, as I've just recently sat down to start working on something like this. Your skills far surpass mine though, going to keep an eye on this closely for pointers. :)

It's not "benchmarking station", but benching station.
A benching station is a machine you use to bench test computer hardware as would a review writer or repair person. It's ideal for plugging in a Joe Sixpack hardrive for removing virus' or recovering data.
It's also nice if you happen to change things a lot.
The open design is so that you don't have to balance a flashlight/screwdriver/harddrive/cables all with only 2 hands.

My current system is an open (case-less) design, but made entirely of fiberglass panels I laid in the garage. It's a µATX size,but holds all my hardware compactly.

Some people (like myself) get more fun from playing with the computer instead of on the computer. :D

It's not "benchmarking station", but benching station.
A benching station is a machine you use to bench test computer hardware as would a review writer or repair person. It's ideal for plugging in a Joe Sixpack hardrive for removing virus' or recovering data.
It's also nice if you happen to change things a lot.

My current system is an open (case-less) design, but made entirely of fiberglass panels I laid in the garage. It's a µATX size,but holds all my hardware compactly.

Some people (like myself) get more fun from playing with the computer instead of on the computer. :D

Agreed

Isn't that the damn truth... I should find a cheaper hobby. :)

I think any case (open or not) is a pain in the ***. Anything I mess with goes on my desk or on the shelf above my desk... But I have done things that look what you guys are doing... better than a case I guess.

Its about convenience/access to components vs. structure.

I've run computers on my desktop too. But if you look at it, one accidental elbow and the powersupply falls off the desk....there goes thousands of dollars. Or with the size of heatsinks these days.... Or running watercooling on a desk...

Anyways, the original thread has been updated:

1) Minor Metal Working

2) PCI slot brackets

navig

LOL, this IS my cheap hobby... Well, ok, its my middle hobby in terms of costs.

Model Rockets... cheap
PC's... not that bad
CAR........... wait? why is all my money gone?

Not to thread jack... But this was my version of a cheap benching station. It might still be running, but I may have turned it off a month or two ago when I went back to school and left it in my basement. -- Low cost? how about free w/ a small scrap of wood.

P1000869.jpg

P1000859.jpg

I think I made a thread on it... Will edit link in soon.

to be (corey)( --> )"quite" honest with you i dont like the design of it because you dont have much acess to your main components.. if you were to use extreme cooling for an example seems to me it would be rather hard to put ln2 into a pot
on the other hand the last one you posted looks awesome and has all the components accessible
nice work!

Navig... thats insane :p If you were to sell a case like this, how much would it cost? btw: for my easy acess system: big long thick board, screws = :p

Obviously, I can't really talk about cost, this not being the for sale section. If anyone is interested, I can be contacted by pm. If no one claims what I make by the time I'm done, I'll put them for sale on in the classifieds.

navig

Back