• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anything I should change on this build? (Yes another build help ??)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

doz

Ok, so this is what I have. Ive done ALOT of research on here and look at tons of info offsite about performance.

I plan to do some mild overclocking, nothing real serious.

Im not on a tight budget, but I want to keep it relatively low. This is what Ive come up with. Anything I should change for about the same price/performance? And before anyone suggests, Ive made up my mind on a C2D instead of a Quad, so please dont suggest that :)

Price: $1350 w/ shipping via newegg (only $19 in shipping! I did good I think!)

ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core
XIGMATEK HDT-SD964 92mm Rifle CPU Cooler
OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066
VisionTek 900244 Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
Rosewill R5604-BK 0.8mm Japanese Cold Rolled Steel Dual 120mm
Antec True Power Trio TP3-550 550W ATX12V SLI Certified CrossFire
SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223F - OEM
SAMSUNG Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive
Logitech G5 2-Tone 7 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Laser Mouse
Logitech 967738-0403 Black USB Standard Deluxe 250 Keyboard
Logitech Z-4 40 watts 2.1 Speaker
Acer AL1916WAbd Black 19" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor
Microsoft Windows XP Professional 64Bit SP2C for System Builders - OEM

Yeha, thats what I was thinking, but I dont think im going to double them up for awhile. I thought about 2 slower cards, but decided against it due to minimal performance gain. Plus this allows me to really upgrade later.

Also, Im going to go with Vista X64 after doing alot of reading.

Thanks for the reply!

Unless your planning on a bigger monitor, there's absolutely no need to add a second 4870. Heck you could probably save $100 and go with a 4850 using a 19 inch screen. Other than that though the build looks good.

Notes taken :)

They ran out of the Antec so I picked up a 650watt PSU. Also went with Vista x64. Ordered and paid for, should be here Monday hopefully :D

I know this is personal preference but I would suggest that you go with a different mouse if you like to change DPI settings. I like the Razer Deathadder or the Razer Diamondback.

I say this is because I own a G5 right now and while it my be just my luck, I have had lots of trouble with DPI settings, the driver software, and Vista. I will go in and set the presets and then when I go about some gaming the mouse will randomly drop me back to default settings for DPI(super slow, slow, crazy fast) and then back again.

The reason for the Razer is that they store there profiles in the mouse it self and should not be interfered with by the OS, a plus feature should you take it anywhere with you, the profiles will be with you.

I agree with iamcanadian7 for a 19". Also, you are going to love the Z4s, I have a set right now and the have really good sound and bass.

Good luck on the rig, let us know how it goes.

Last edited:
Back