• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's a good gaming Keyboard? (2012 edition)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Rosewill Mechanical Keyboard RK-9000RE with Cherry MX Red Switch

Not sure if there's still people reading or responding to this, but I found it by accident a few days ago, and it's been really enlightening regarding keyboards; was hoping I could get your advice.

I've been looking for a decent (but not too expensive) keyboard to use for both gaming and work(using an Asus G55VW along with a 23" IPS LED screen, and I'm stuck with laptop as main screen until I get another keyboard), and I saw this: Rosewill Mechanical Keyboard RK-9000RE with Cherry MX Red Switch, selling for $60 bucks with free shipping.

I've never really tried mech keyboards, and was wondering if this was a good price to begin with? And Aynjell(if you're still around), is this keyboard any good? Been reading reviews, and it's always been opposite extremes: either it's really good and life-changing, or the keyboard is Dead on Arrival or has keys that don't work.

If anyone could offer any quick advice(before the deal ends), it would be extremely helpful.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=175952

i posted this a little while ago but if you scroll down a little in the thread someone opened the rosewill mech keyboards and they are rebranded filcos.

From my own experience the rosewill with the red switches is a great keyboard. I have been using it for almost a year and have no problems other than a squeaky space bar but a little lubricant solved that problem and it has been great since then

Thank you for your (very quick) reply, Slayer.

Yeah, I saw the Filco thing multiple times earlier in this particular thread, even. It's what convinced me to start thinking about this, rather than my usual choice (sleek keyboards with 'cool' blue or red backlights, like my old Lycosa or a deal for the Sidewinder X4, which was what lead me to this thread). Good to hear about the build quality; that puts me at rest.

Thread's (and price comparisons earlier in this thread even) kinda outdated though, so I'm not sure if the prices are still comparable. I'd just like to ask if you think the price($60) for this keyboard right now is worth it, before I finally make the decision to get it. Don't want to spend too much as an international student in the States...

That's the deal-maker for me then. Placed an order for it; should appear within 5 business days, I think. Will leave my comments about what I think here.

It also apparently comes with a free set of Rosewill RISP-11003 1 Watt 2.0 Digital USB Speakers, but reading the reviews and what others have said in this thread, I am quite doubtful of its quality. Still, I won't look a gift horse in the mouth, and if it works, all the better for my new set-up.

This hasn't seen any action in a while, so ill re-ignite.

Has anyone used Logitech's latest creation? They finally made the leap.

Logitech G710 920-003887 110 Normal Keys USB 2.0 Wired Gaming Plus Mechanical Keyboard

I have yet to look at it in person, tho specs wise it looks nice. I do like that they went with browns over blues (personal preference i know, but i do prefer it quieter). I only have 2 grips really.

1. No built in audio. I have a G110 right now and i use its audio controls for my headset, and i find this very useful. I wish they would keep it on their gaming keyboards.

2. While it is back-lit, its only a white backlight. No multi-color spectrum they have on previous. This is a very minor con tho.

Has anyone had a chance to use it yet? What do you think?

Looks like a pretty great keyboard. I will have to see if logitech will send a review sample ;)

That looks pretty slick. By built in audio, do you mean like an actual audio jack for you headphones or just audio controls? I would assume you mean an audio jack because it looks like that keyboard has volume controls on it. As someone who is using a keyboard with MX brown switches, I know what you mean about liking them to be a little bit quieter.

I've been using it for a couple months, it's EXACTLY what I've been looking for forever. I never made the jump to mechanical boards until this, since I couldn't ever find a keyboard with dedicated multimedia keys. The board is comfortable and works great, the lighting is nice, and the USB 2.0 passthrough is also awesome.

I switched over from the G110. I liked the audio passthrough that had, as well as the colored backlighting, but those aren't really important to me.

That looks pretty slick. By built in audio, do you mean like an actual audio jack for you headphones or just audio controls? I would assume you mean an audio jack because it looks like that keyboard has volume controls on it.

Right.

The G110 i use now has audio controls for the Default device (ie, speakers) and it also has audio jacks and mute buttons for a separate headset. The audio in the keyboard headset is a different device, allowing me to set voice (like team speak) though the headset, and the normal game sounds, or movie, or music ect.. though the speakers. This allows me to hit the mic mute quickly when i don't want it to pick up background noise, or my general gaming induced rage :p.

I find its more covenant than fumbling around for a mute switch on the cord of a headset itself (which i don't have on my current headset anyway). Now my computer does support me splitting the front audio jacks into a separate source, so i can split the audio, but i lose the control that is readily available on the keyboard itself.

Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 Keyboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823109191

For 60 dollars,this is a great deal.More importantly,this is a awesome lighted keyboard.Most gaming keyboards are way overpriced.Nice to see Microsoft deliver quality at a great price.A 3 year warranty is icing on the cake.

PRECISE CONTROL
Advanced anti-ghosting capability
Press up to 26 keys simultaneously without ghosting—what you press is what you get!

Mode switching
Manually toggle from standard mode to one of two gaming modes; LEDs show the mode you select.

Automatic profile switching
The keyboard detects the application you are running and applies your custom profile to the application.

Programmable macro keys
Switch among three banks of six programmable macro keys to assign up to 18 macros per profile.

DESIGNED FOR GAMING
In-game Macro Record button Record a sequence of keystrokes. Macros are stored on your hard drive and can be easily shared.

Automatic macro repetition
Set your macros to repeat.

TOTAL IMMERSION
Backlit keys
Adjust key-legend backlighting with three illumination levels plus "off".

Media keys
Access Play/Pause, Previous Track, Next Track, and Mute.

Last edited:
Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 Keyboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823109191

For 60 dollars,this is a great deal.More importantly,this is a awesome lighted keyboard.Most gaming keyboards are way overpriced.Nice to see Microsoft deliver quality at a great price.A 3 year warranty is icing on the cake.

PRECISE CONTROL
Advanced anti-ghosting capability
Press up to 26 keys simultaneously without ghosting—what you press is what you get!

Mode switching
Manually toggle from standard mode to one of two gaming modes; LEDs show the mode you select.

Automatic profile switching
The keyboard detects the application you are running and applies your custom profile to the application.

Programmable macro keys
Switch among three banks of six programmable macro keys to assign up to 18 macros per profile.

DESIGNED FOR GAMING
In-game Macro Record button Record a sequence of keystrokes. Macros are stored on your hard drive and can be easily shared.

Automatic macro repetition
Set your macros to repeat.

TOTAL IMMERSION
Backlit keys
Adjust key-legend backlighting with three illumination levels plus "off".

Media keys
Access Play/Pause, Previous Track, Next Track, and Mute.

Looks ok for the price. I personally dont like the media keys. I never cared for button volume control.

I would say this one that i am using right now, fantastic feel on the keys really precise i love this GIGABYTE OSMIUM KEYBOARD! In one word Brill. AJ. :D :thup:

Attachments

• AJ Italian Build 18.jpg
    AJ Italian Build 18.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 98
  • AJ Italian Build 17.jpg
    AJ Italian Build 17.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 96
  • AJ Italian Build 58.jpg
    AJ Italian Build 58.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 99
Looks ok for the price. I personally dont like the media keys. I never cared for button volume control.

I hear Ya! I don't use media keys for the most part.As far as volume control,I use a Logitech X-540 5.1 w/ subwoofer and a ASUS PCI 5.1 Channel Sound Card XONAR-DG.I use the X-540 for volume.

Last edited:
Back