• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What about a dual?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overload

with all the hype on dual cpu, gpu; dual channel, dual hdd (raid), dual this and dual that. why dont more people do dual PSU? this is completely speculative but i would think that two good 300 watt psu would be better then 1 600 watt. one to power all digital components, ie motherboard, cpu, graphics; they have thier own power regulation anyway. and one for "external" stuff, ie drives, fans, etc.

Well, here's a few points:

1) 99% of people have a case that can't accommodate 2 units.
2) Setting up two PSUs to work in tandem requires a little bit of wire cutting and soldering (which, among other things, voids the warranty) or buying rare special adapters (or making your own) to run them.
3) It isn't necessary for the vast majority of people. A 500W/600W/700W+ (perhaps even lower) should last you pretty much forever, or until Intel decides to change the ATX12V standard yet again. Seriously.
4) As Oklahoma Wolf says: crap + crap != gold. An Enhance 500W is better than two 500W Aspires together. Also, two PSUs introduces an extra point of failure for the system.
5) It introduces extra noise into the system, for those who care.

1) thats why we mod
2) this is no more treacherous than putting in case lighting or many other things this community does to thier pcs. a psu can be "hot wired" by jumpering two pins together.
3) neither is any of the other "dual" trends mentioned
4) I did say two GOOD psu's. (not two rediculously priced ones with all the snake oil you can afford, but two name brands with a good reputation.
5) i would argue that it would be less. all the noisy components like fans and drives (things with inductive motors) would be isolated from the digital components that really hate motor noise.

edit 5): hmm, i was thinking electrical noise, but it still applies. i am sure you ment acoustic and the next two post address that...

Last edited:
6) more heat to get rid of.

But all of these can be overcome if you really want to have 2xPSU.

I actually had a second power supply to run my fans for a while while I RMAed an Antec 550. I used a spare 380 watt ATX unit as the main power supply and a 200 watt AT unit pulled from an old machine perched on top of the case. I had to manually click the on/off switch but in a permanent setup, you can couple them to turn on at the same time.

I agree its not for everyone, but we are overclockers and it would be cool to brag about.

the total heat may be slightly more, as psu's are not 100% efficient. cooling requirements would be reduced as the total is power is divided in two. and power equals heat. it should be easier to cool 2 warm units than 1 hot fully loaded one.

Interesting theory. Somebody needs to test it. I wouldn't have a problem with trying once I get my new rig up. I swear, I've got somewhere around a thousand cheapo 450W PSUs from systems I've put together for people.

EDIT: Just thinking about problem 5. While you're voiding warranties anyway, would it be a big deal to replace a noisy fan in the PSU? As for #6, what if you could place one at the top of the case where a blowhole would go? Theoretically, it could end up helping cooling.

Back