• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need ur opinion: Cable or ADSL

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The Coolest

Hey guys!
I hopefully will soon be moving to either ADSL or Cable conn (if my mom agrees) and I wanted to ask what u think is better? I still don't know the specs of the cable connection, but I do know the specs of ADSL, it will be the cheapest I can get, therefore relatively slow, around 50-60KB/s?
The cable prolly also will be the cheapest choise, so what do u think I should get, I also know that the installation will be cheaper on the cable also

Usually cable downloads faster than dsl. check out dslreports.com and their forums for researching the companies involved and that will give you a better understanding of what's going on.

OK, then I guess Cable it will be, only one other question, will Q3A work in Internet well? like what are the upload speeds of Cable are they enough to play on 2 comps on the net?

EDIT: I now have both computers connected straight to each other (no switches/hubs/routers) and was wondering if I still will be able to use the ICS (inet conn sharing)? even if I'll add a second LAN card will I be able to use ICS?

Last edited:
you should really check you the area you live in. Although cable sometimes download faster than DSL, its speed depends upon how many people in your area has Cable. If your entire neighbor hood is running on a cable connection, then all hell will break loose when everyone decides to get online (6:00pm-1:00am) so know you are better off with DSL which would give you a more stable connection speed. but the same thing sometimes happen with DSL but not as often as it does with cable

I have cable and dsl right now and can tell you cable is faster at downloading and uploading HOWEVER dsl does not get you nearly the packet loss cable gives you.

dsl doesnt have nearly the bandwidth cable does so I would go with cable unless there are many people on your node or you start getting bad packet loss.

AMD'er said:
speed depends upon how many people in your area has Cable. If your entire neighbor hood is running on a cable connection, then all hell will break loose when everyone decides to get online (6:00pm-1:00am)

While cable is alot faster than DSL, it is a myth about cable and one of it's biggest downfalls being that it's a shared bandwidth.

Of course cable is shared among whoever is on your local node, but what most people don't know is that DSL is shared as well, the only part about DSL being a "dedicated" connection is from your house to the company your phone line is connected to, after that, it's also shared, from the company out to the internet.

I had DSL, and when peak time occured, ( roughly around the times AMD'er suggested ) my conection speed would drop, and my latency would go through the roof, and being that it wasn't as fast as cable, the conection suffered more, as well as i did trying to DL things or play a game online.

So cable is the better bet considering it offers more speed over DSL, I'd go with cable. the whole "shared bandwidth" thing is just an advertising ploy to get people to go with DSL instead of cable...hey, they have to make their money somehow right?

OK... My problem now is that I don't have a router of any kind and was wandering if I install one would it hurt my LAN speed that the MAXes at 10MB/s w/ both comps connected to each other straight, w/ only one cable?

Back