• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which proc to get...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Continuum83

Registered
ok, i am just running a simple t-bird 1 GHz and am looking for an upgrade... should i pick up an AMD XP 2100+ or so, or wait to see what comes out?

.Welcome to Overclockers.com

An XP1700-1800 is the best deal at the moment. You cant go wrong with a sub $100 CPU that overclocks like a champ. The T-Breds should be out very very soon so you might want to wait for one of those. What kind of board is this going in? Most boards are compatible but make sure before you look into a new chip

heh, thank you for the warm welcome... as for the board, i am gonna start totally from scratch, so i am trying to get some info on the latest and greatest.

thanks for the tip on the t-bred, thats the next gen amd coming out before hammer?

What are you doing or planning to do with your comp? If all you wanna do is play games and stuff then the upgrade might not be worth it for another 6 monts or a year. The difference between what you got and an XP @ 1.5-1.7 GHz is there, but it's not so great that you'd need to upgrade right now...

Just a thought.

--Illah

well, i was planning it for gaming and hoping it would take me through a couple years of school. i figured if i went with the top on the market now, or within the next month or so, an upgrade would be worth it. I am just unsure as to if i should hang loose a bit and see what AMD releases...

i'd stick with what you got for a few months. i killed my 1700 xp and am now back to using an old celly 533. i'm hesitant to by anything else till i see the o/c'ing results of the new t-breds en masse... maybe i'll pick up a cheap duron or t-bird so i can at least get my shuttle and watercooler back up. but i'm not gonna spend 100+ now and then more than that for the t-bred in a few months.

all in all. i'm saying you got a plenty decent system now. just wait a while and see the skinny on the chips. if nothing else the palomino's will drop further in price with the release of the t-bred right?

does anyone know when the next gen amds are to be released? latest i wanted to build up my cpu was august...not sure though.

Thanks for the info on the 1600+, that may be a possible path, dunno about OCin' to 2.0 GHz though, hehe.

basically i wanna put together a new system and my old one is gonna go to my brother, thats why i kinda need to start from scratch. I didnt research mobos yet, but from what i hear, the SOYOs are decent, i have an ASUS now...not bad, but ABITs i am too looking into. Though, USB 2.0 is what would be nice, not sure how many boards include that. Also, i am not sure about the next gen PCI slots? anyone hear any word on that?

I dunno, i have more research to do, but looks like i am definalty gonna upgrade, maybe i will go for the OC deal, sounds promising with the 1600, thanks for the help so far.

hmmm well what kind of budget are you on?
cheaper way to nice system right this sec I would go with a epox 8k3a for 87 usd on newegg and an XP 1800+ 103 usd on newegg 200 for the pair.
if price isnt to much of an issue I would give it a month or so. Just to see what happens with T-bred and Ive heard a few rumors of Via releasing KT400 b4 to long.

well, i have been planning this new cpu for a while, so i can pretty much hang out to see whats on the horizon...

just to get my lingo straight:

t-bred = ? ( still talking thunderbird? )
also whats up with the Athlon Palomino MP ?

i was planning to wait until mid to end june, if not july to start putting the box together, just getting facts straight now :)

For your motherboard I recommend the Soyo k7V Dragon Ultra, It's based on the new K333 chipset and has many great features. 6 - USB 2.0, RAID, UATA 133, and Ram Vcore adjustment. The ASUS AK77-333 I wouln't recommend though. It has some great features but you cant adjust the multiplier (AMD overclocking is all about the multiplier). According to this anyway http://active-hardware.com/english/reviews/mainboard/ak77-333.htm

For CPU is you can wait till next month, the prices on the current XP cpus should come down, I heard May 27 somewhere on this forum. The T-bred series are suppose to launch very come.

Also is you get a RAID UATA 133 mobo, like the Dragon Ultra, be sure to pick up two UATA 133 Hard drives, so you may set them up in RAID 0 stripped array. It's very quick, take my word for it.

T-bred (thoroughbred) is the next generation for the XP series. The MP are server based (SMP) cpu's.

Last edited:
yea, that sounds really kewl. though i am not much for onboard RAID, was thinking of getting a promise RAID card, maybe the new FastTrak, not sure though, but i definalty will have to keep tabs on the t-breds (thanks for the acronym def) ... and i did hear good things about the SOYO board, thanks :)

my soyo dragon plus has a promise raid uata 100 controller w/fasttrack. I think the ultra has a high point UATA133 raid controller. anyway i heard some good reviews on it.

according to the Tom's Hardware review the gigabyte board is the best thing going for KT333 right now followed by the EPoX and enemic (whoever that is) I also saw they now have a new rev out for the 8k3a. I have the Dragon+ and its a solid board but not a very good overclocker maybe the ULTRA is better... anyway here is the link to the review so you can decide for yourself!

that Gigabyte board did look very nice, but i suppose i will just have to wait and see how the t-bred stats play out.

Back