• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[O/C]AMD Radeon 6000 Series, Llano, Set to Debut

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

O ATI, ATI, wherefore art thou ATI?

A cheap Shakespearean knock-off reference doesn’t really do justice to the way AMD has positioned itself currently with the pending Radeon 6000 series release along with its line of ”Llano” APUs… But then, I’m not really much of a writer, and this ain’t no renaissance. AMD has closed the book on its successful history with ATI branding by recently folding ATI into the AMD name as one in the same. In doing so, the dramatic timing and importance of this shift is AMD making a statement that should not go discounted. They are saying… AMD is bold. AMD is confident. AMD is ready to ring in a new era changing the landscape upon which the game is played.

... Return to article to continue reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
Niceee... the design of the card is beautiful. Wayyy ahead the 5000 series, expecially the front grille, much more appealing than the two childish intake holes.

hm... i believe AMD have sort of gone backwards with this new series. I dont understand this refreshed cards stuff. Would have really been excited if they built the 6 series from the bottom up. but if it brings the 5 series price down, doesnt worry me. LOL Loo, looks arent always everything though...

Yeppp Cuiiey, I know looks aren't everything :) I just like their new industrial design approach...
I want the same as you, a price drop, so I can get another 5870 to DIVEEE into framerate :comp:

I think you'll be fairly happy once we can talk numbers. If you like the 6850/6870 will really depend on where the prices land - they are targeted at hitting a certain price/performance level, and if that balance is right for each individual will determine the reception they get once you see the numbers. These cards are not intended for breaking new performance levels at the very top end, which essentially means they are fleshing out the price/performance options you have in the upper mainstream GPU market. Again, I don't know how well people will like it until they see the price and the performance, but I expect it to be an alright reception for these cards specifically.

If you are looking for something more, AMD has not forgotten you. They have things planned for the enthusiasts, but again we can't say exactly until we can talk numbers and the primary channel reviews drop. I expect it to be well received by our crew, and it will likely fill some of the desires I've heard people expressing in response to these 68XX cards.

Great to have a new series coming out, but I think AMD are completely off their rocker if the 6870 isn't faster than the 5870.

hm... i believe AMD have sort of gone backwards with this new series. I dont understand this refreshed cards stuff. Would have really been excited if they built the 6 series from the bottom up. but if it brings the 5 series price down, doesnt worry me. LOL Loo, looks arent always everything though...
I think you should view it as a sort of side project aimed at killing off nvidia for now. This new series should raise the bar for performance / $ ratio and will also be a good learning exercise for ATI. Considering the 4xx series has just recently come out from nvidia ATI still seem to be leading and I don't see how this could be called a backwards step at all.

Great to have a new series coming out, but I think AMD are completely off their rocker if the 6870 isn't faster than the 5870.

It's been confirmed now that the 6870 isn't the successor to the 5870, that'll be the 6970 :) Supposedly the 6850 is aimed at beating the 460 768MB, and the 6870 at beating the 1GB :O

Also, can't wait to see the 6970 specs! Roll on November!

I'm not a lawyer, and I'm not sure if I'm allowed to make any statements regarding that topic, so I'd rather play it safe and say nothing.

I can say however we are in communication with AMD regarding the sample, and we won't be the first to publish benchmarks or reviews, pending some details being worked out that are outside of our planning and control.

I'm not a lawyer, and I'm not sure if I'm allowed to make any statements regarding that topic, so I'd rather play it safe and say nothing.

I can say however we are in communication with AMD regarding the sample, and we won't be the first to publish benchmarks or reviews, pending some details being worked out that are outside of our planning and control.

Great to hear that we have a sample card for review! Though it's a shame that we can't be the first to publish; would have been some nice publicity for the site.

Great writeup IMOG! Hopefully you made it out of the barnyard... :screwy:
;) (I kid.. hehe)

So answer this after the NDA is lifted...

Is(Was when you reply) the sample you have borked and thats why we wont be able to publish when it lifts Friday?

In the future, my answer will be (was when I reply) that details outside of our planning and control lead to the sample not being in our hands yet. :beer:

Booooo and here I was picturing some behind the scenes 3 Stooges shens (from ocf)!!! Thanks for that! :p

Cointenly! Whoop whoop whoop! Wiseguy ehh?!!!

Back