• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Drive Benchmarking... Which one?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vio1

Hi, I wanted to figure out which stripe size and cluster size will be best for my setup... for both games and os load up. Which benchmark program would show me the results of my trials? I know some programs use large files to test, and some use smaller ones... Which program tests the drives closest to what I use the computer for? Atto? Sandra? HDtach?

Vio1 said:
Hi, I wanted to figure out which stripe size and cluster size will be best for my setup... for both games and os load up. Which benchmark program would show me the results of my trials? I know some programs use large files to test, and some use smaller ones... Which program tests the drives closest to what I use the computer for? Atto? Sandra? HDtach?

If your on Windows XP Pro | Home your going to want to stick with 4K Clusters on NTFS ALL the time. With Stripe sizes the lower they are the higher the benchmark score BUT that doesnt mean real world performance all the time. The best rule of thumb is to use bigger Stripe size with bigger files & smaller with smaller files, so take a look what you do most of the time & see which one fits you better.

If you want a benchmark that have the leat flaws out there then use the INTEL I/O METER, when you do figure out how to use it let us know.

Back